Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which Optic for M1A Scout Squad???

Feedback Score

Which Optic for M1A Scout Squad???

Guys,
    I might pull the trigger on an 18" Scout Squad soon, and I'm trying to find out what's the best optic choice for this rifle? Definitely not going with an ACOG or red dot this time.
    I want a full blown scope. Is the military using Leupold scopes on most of their M14's/M1A's???
    I THINK I've seen a bunch of them pictured online with Leupolds (not sure which model???), but maybe I've seen something else too, like Nightforces/etc????
    Can anyone give me the best options here? I'm also ASSUMING, that most commonly used, would be something that adjusts up to 10x??? Is this correct, and is this all the magnification I should desire for this rifle???
    Thanks for any help guys...

Feedback Score
    The M14s we had as SDM rifles were fitted with models/versions of Leupold 3x9 optics. hth.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    It all depends on what you want to use it for.....

Personally, this is how I'd set mine up....

Remove the "rail" that's attached to the barrel, and put a standard or slotted handguard on it.

Install the Smith Enterprises picatinny rail mount.

I'd put a high quality 1.5-6x optic on it, whether it's Leupold, Burris, IOR, Swarovski, Zeiss, Schmidt & Bender, etc.....whatever your budget will allow.

This will allow you to engage targets from near contact distance up to several hundred yards.
    Employee of colonialshooting.com

Feedback Score
    Mine sports an EOTech on the barrel mount... No problems at all for me there but if you were worried about heat, pick up a Smith receiver mount and put your choice of optic on it.
    Keep your powder dry.

M4Carbine required notice/disclaimer: I am a tactical marketing professional. PM for details.

Feedback Score
    Just wondering why you are getting a "scout" rifle, if you don't want to use the forward mounted "scout" scope location -- that is, after all, perhaps the biggest thing that makes a scout rifle a scout rifle?
    I put the "Amateur" in Amateur Radio...

Feedback Score
    xxxxx
    Last edited by PALADIN-hgwt; 07-09-09 at 23:25.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by K.L. Davis View Post
    Just wondering why you are getting a "scout" rifle, if you don't want to use the forward mounted "scout" scope location?

I have not stated that I don't want to use the forward mounted "scout" scope location. In fact, the thought has never crossed my mind....
    ???

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by razorhunter View Post
    I have not stated that I don't want to use the forward mounted "scout" scope location. In fact, the thought has never crossed my mind....
    ???
    This is what I read:
    Quote Originally Posted by razorhunter View Post
    Guys,
    Definitely not going with an ACOG or red dot this time. I want a full blown scope. ...something that adjusts up to 10x??? Is this correct, and is this all the magnification I should desire for this rifle???
    Do you understand the concept behind a scout rifle?
    I put the "Amateur" in Amateur Radio...

Feedback Score
    Ok, sounds like you are saying it's supposed to be used with the kind of optic I do not wish to use, with the front rail. I supposed I don't know the point of the scout rifle.
    Cool, I can dig that.

I just want a typical 3-9x or 10x scope, and I do not really want the long 22" bbl of the original M1A...
    I gotcha though... My apologies, and thanks for your reply K.L....

Feedback Score

Exclamation

xxxxx
    Last edited by PALADIN-hgwt; 07-09-09 at 23:25.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast