Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Jerry Cans?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by AmpedUp View Post
    Have you looked into Ebay?
    Yep, I looked. The used ones are $43 shipped, each, and the new one is over $90 (!), shipped. Plus gaskets, plus a spout ($30), and it just doesn't make sense to me...

I just ordered a couple heavy-duty "utility jugs" from PU-Products for $71, shipped (for 2), and they already include the nozzle.

I'll post an update when I get a sense of how well these work...

Bimmer

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I not 100% sure but I think Bass Pro Shops has seven gallon tall boy Jerry cans in there clearance area at the Harrisburg store. I received 12 as gifts and I think thats were he got them from, price around $20.00 each.
    Last edited by PA PATRIOT; 12-26-09 at 15:19.

Feedback Score
    Can you still find metal cans?Or are they all plastic now?

Feedback Score
    An update...

I've got the PU-Products "utility jugs," and I'm really pleased. I had a gallon of old gas in an old gas can, and I transferred it into both cans and then poured it in my car yesterday.

Each jug comes with it's own hose spout, but I bought an extra cap ($4.00), so I've got normal caps on both of my two cans, and then a dedicated "spout" cap.

First impressions:

1. They're generally well made and pretty heavy duty. They're about the consistency of Arrowhead 5-gallon water cooler jugs (way more solid than the normal gas cans).
    I'm not sure how they'd hold up to being run over by a truck or dropped off the roof when full, but I don't plan to do much more than store gas in them...

2. The necks are huge, so there's no need for a funnel when filling from can to can.

3. The end of the hose spout fits PERFECTLY in the gasoline filler "neck" of my car. It's easy to modulate how much gas is going through, too, because they're easier to hold than normal "jerry cans." These are great "dump cans."

4. The extra cap is really the way to go. It's easy enough to get the "inner" caps out of the center of the main caps (use a square 1/2" driver), but it does require the tool.
    It's a PITA to get the hose spout in and out of the main cap. It's an 8-sided threaded/barbed hose attachment, and the threads are tight and the plastic 8-sided "nut" is easy to round off, and I wound up using a vice grips to really get it snug.
    This is NOT something I would want to do every time I wanted to from storing to pouring. Screwing an extra main cap on and off is child's play.

5. They seal well. There's an o-ring in the main cap, the inner cap seals well in the main cap (I used teflon tape), and there's a rubber gasket in the vent cap. I turned one upside down with a gallon of gas in it, and it didn't leak a drop.

The hose spout does leak at the end. There's no o-ring or anything between between the plastic end and the plastic cap, and it leaks (it would be easy to put an o-ring or a gasket in there).
    I won't store or transport gasoline in these with the hose spout in place, and they don't leak with the hose spout in place except from the pouring end, so I'm not worried.

In short, if I decide that 40 liters of gas isn't enough, then I'll get more of these.

YMMV,

Bimmer

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12