Thread: Barrels interchangeable?

Feedback Score
    90 (97%)

Barrels interchangeable?

Just read this on the other AR site and it has me royally confused

DPMS and Armalite what possibly* works between the two

*Realize these rifles are close in dimension, the parts could be replaced but probably shouldn't be per the recommendations of DPMS and Armalite. They could work or they could not, due to tolerance stacking-best bet is to get the correct parts. There is not a standard between manfs like the AR15. There is no "mil spec" and each manf has their own tolerances/standards.

I personally think switching parts between the two is stupid. It might work, but if you stick DPMS parts in a AR10, and trash your warranty, you might have a tough time convincing them to honor their lifetime warranty. I do believe the armalite parts are better, even though they might be more expensive. Don't put cheap crap in your rifle if you might have to depend on it.

FF tubes will not interchange due to the thread pitch differences between the two.

Bolt carriers groups are interchangeable as long as they headspace correctly.

Bolts might

Barrels are interchangeable, but cause problems due to a 3/16" length difference in gas tubes. Armalite uses the longer gas tubes to use standard AR15 handguards. the 3/16" makes up for the wider barrel nut/bigger receiver

Armalite "carbines" use a mid-length gas system while DPMS "carbines" use a carbine gas system. Rifle gas> Mid-length >carbine in terms of being better/smoother

Barrel nut threads are different so you have to buy the correct handguard system for the upper receiver you are using.

Thought barrels wouldnt work between the 2 reciever styles?
    JF Arms Company - Owner
    07/02 FFL/SOT

Sword & Shield Training Group - SSTG
    - Be the Sword & Shield for your community thru knowledge and skills.

----------------------
    EMT - Parkview DeKalb EMS

13 years of serving Northeast Indiana's citizens.
    ----------------------
    Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Buffers, action spring weight, and gas volume in the BCG are different.
    This should require a different optimal gas port size for each system.

Feedback Score
    90 (97%)
    I was just curious. Because i went with a dpms pattern lower to use magpuls lr20 mags. So basicaly I would need a larger gas port in the barrel to use one of your barrels which I would love because I have 2 of ur 5.56 barrels and absolutely love them
    JF Arms Company - Owner
    07/02 FFL/SOT

----------------------

----------------------
    Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    If you use an AR-10/N6 action spring, buffer, receiver extension, BCG, and barrel it would be properly tuned.

I have no idea if the bottom of the AR-10 carrier will clear the feedlips of the LR20/KAC pattern mags.

Feedback Score
    90 (97%)
    Thanks for the info, wish I had been better informed before I made a decision on what 308 platform to go with. Should have gone with a armalite pattern, oh well
    JF Arms Company - Owner
    07/02 FFL/SOT

----------------------

----------------------