Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Rethinking 9mm

Feedback Score
    64 (98%)

Rethinking 9mm

I am rethinking the value of my 9mm AR right now guys.

I have a RRA 9mm that is fun ro shoot but I am starting to wonder if it is really that practical. Magazines are a pain, lower is non standard, While heavier, the bullet doesn't really gain anything from the longer barrel the way a 5.56 would.

What are your thoughts. Do 9mm ARs serve a purpose, or are they useless? Should I just swap this poor underused weapon for a nice 5.56 AR or something similar. Or should I consider just upgrading it a bit and having fun.

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    For me, 9mm carbines are range toys, nothing more. If that fits in with what you want, keep it. For more serious use, get it in 5.56mm.

The use I have for a 9mm carbine "not for me" is a home defense tool for the wife when I'm away. She's not into firearm's despite my best efforts and I feel much better about her chances using an HK94 to defend herself than a pistol. After minimal instruction, she was very poficient at self defense distances.
    Last edited by Hunter Rose; 12-22-09 at 18:18.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kwelz View Post
    I am rethinking the value of my 9mm AR right now guys.

I have a RRA 9mm that is fun to shoot but I am starting to wonder if it is really that practical... Do 9mm ARs serve a purpose, or are they useless? Or should I consider just upgrading it a bit and having fun.
    What's wrong with having fun?

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    I think they serve three purposes:

1) Fairly inexpensive to run and train with.

2) Far less muzzle blast and therefore easier to teach a novice on.

3) If you lack easy access to an outdoor range, you can use the 9mm carbine at an indoor range.

I do feel that they're niche weapons.

That doesn't mean you can't own something just because it's fun to shoot though....

*ETA.......I'm especially talking about a SBR. The 16" barrel 9mm's do detract from it's useability.
    Last edited by TOrrock; 12-22-09 at 20:03.
    Employee of colonialshooting.com

Feedback Score
    ... and the barrel doesn't heat up as fast.

Feedback Score
    Put a can on it then it will be a funner range toy.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I have a 9mm SBR and I love shooting it at the range. Cheep ammo, great for tactical drills and moving and shooting steel at CQB distances. Definitely not the same as 5.56/.223, but has a place in my heart.

Feedback Score
    I don't consider the 9mm AR to be a very effective self-defense tool. However, it is a great training tool. I shoot local IDPA matches with mine as the 9mm's don't tear up the steel targets. They are also economical to shoot.
    http://www.dvctargets.com - Promoting realism and excellence in combative shooting.

Feedback Score
    64 (98%)
    I see the benefit of having one. Mainly in a training/range toy. I guess my real issue is, how much money do I want to sink into this. Right now it is very KISS, MOE forearm, beat up stock, MIAD grip and MBUS rear sight.

Should I dump money into this like I would my other guns.

Feedback Score
    Here's the answer: http://www.lonewolfdist.com/Detail.aspx?PROD=1805

Lone Wolf Distributors, which specializes in Glock pistol parts and accessories, has came out with a dedicated AR lower that accepts Glock mags. Pretty freaking cool. I just ordered one for myself.

They should work with any existing 9mm upper with a slight mod to the feed lip. I'm probably going to run an American Spirit Arms upper, or maybe a CMMG. Haven't pulled the trigger on the upper yet.

Check em out. Pretty sweet, especially if you shoot a Glock already.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast