Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Opinions on the HK45

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Opinions on the HK45

I searched for any threads on the HK45, but did not come up with much. I am thinking I would like to pick up a 45 pistol and am curious about the HK45 or HK45 Compact. What is the consensus on these? Has anyone put a large number of rounds down range with the HK45 yet? I currently do not own any HK handguns. I mainly shoot a Glock 17 and Sig 228.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JoshNC View Post
    I searched for any threads on the HK45, but did not come up with much. I am thinking I would like to pick up a 45 pistol and am curious about the HK45 or HK45 Compact. What is the consensus on these? Has anyone put a large number of rounds down range with the HK45 yet? I currently do not own any HK handguns. I mainly shoot a Glock 17 and Sig 228.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    I have put a limited number of rounds through one.

I like that I can carry it cocked and locked.

What I don't like is that I feel there is no place for my thumb. If I rest my thumb on top of the safety, I could de-cock it. If I rest it under the thumb safety, I could put it on safe.

Some people get their index finger pinched between the trigger and triggerguard (have not had this happen to me).

They are expensive and so are the mags.

If I were to get one, I would send it Bowie and have him fix some of the issues with the gun.

C4

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Me personally I love the gun. I think it's one of the best if not the best 45 autos made today.
    As always, nothing is perfect. I don't like the stock sights mine are replaced with Heninie Straight-8's. The groove inside the trigger is stupid IMO, but it doesn't bother me. The gun is very ergonomic, a pleasant to shoot, and even looks cool! (it reminds me of a shark).

As with all things HK, it is expensive and so are the magazines as stated above. But you get what you pay for. I should also say that in my experience HK Customer Service is excellent contrary to popular rumor.

Check this out.
    https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=13580
    https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=31077
    The price of freedom is eternal vigilance.

JHP's are good times, for bad people.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I love mine. One of if not the best hand gun Ive had. I buy and sell a lot of my personal guns but I will give my HK45 to my Son one day. Its going to stay in the faimly...
    FFL/SOT

Chuck Norris has to maintain a concealed weapon license in all 50 states in order to legally wear pants.

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    I have over 14k though mine. It is an accurate, 100 percent reliable and "bombproof." I have run it through a a couple of pistol classes and had no issues whatsoever. However, there seems to be percentage of folks whose grip allows them to de-cock the gun and get pinched. I have never had this issue with any USP variant but have long heard this complaint so I know some folks have it. Mr Bowie has a package that fixes the issues for those that have it (and he has a package for the people that have trouble with their M&Ps, Glocks, etc).

It is just an excellent combat handgun. Like all HK products, it is very well-built. The SA trigger is about as good as it gets on a DA/SA handgun. The DA isn't great, but the gun is meant to be carried C&L so the DA is more of a re-strike.

It can be carried C&L like a 1911, which is how I carried it. It can be carried DA with safety off or safety on for a damn safe handgun. It is also available in LEM if you like a consistent trigger pull without a safety.

Again, in standard HK fashion, the gun is accurate and the sights are regulated POI/POA. HK actually zeroes their handguns, which is something it looks like a lot of other manufactures have simply given up doing. It is a very easy gun to shoot accurately right out of the box.

There are excellent holsters available. I have Comp-Tac and Bladetech holsters, as well as a Raven Concealment holster for carry with a light attached.

In my opinion (which is currently valued at 4 cents), it is the best of the modern double stack .45s.
    Last edited by The Dumb Gun Collector; 12-24-09 at 11:03.
    Let those who are fond of blaming and finding fault, while they sit safely at home, ask, ‘Why did you not do thus and so?’I wish they were on this voyage; I well believe that another voyage of a different kind awaits them.”

Christopher Columbus

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    I hear what Grant is saying about the thumb issue. All HKs with safety/decock levers do this to me. Is there a technique to avoid this? If you have small hands like me, shooting in the 1911 style is too uncomfortable on HKs as the lever is up higher than a 1911s. Is the LEM the answer here or is there a certain grip to be had here?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I've shot 875 rounds through mine over the span of two years. I revisit it from time to time, but have never taken it seriously due to the lack of the variant 9 plate. The issue is not so much that the gun decocks, but that if the lever breaks 30 degrees towards decock, the trigger is locked and the gun cannot fire. Other than that, I like it, but wouldn't carry it since I prefer medium-sized guns these days.

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    Newyork,

I have smallish hands and I rest my thumb on top of lever. However, I have always preferred the "gorilla grip" so my thumb is really pressing into the side of the gun more than onto the lever. This is probably why I have never had the issues you guys have had.
    Let those who are fond of blaming and finding fault, while they sit safely at home, ask, ‘Why did you not do thus and so?’I wish they were on this voyage; I well believe that another voyage of a different kind awaits them.”

Christopher Columbus

Feedback Score
    Th HK45 instintly be came my favorite non-custom 45acp pistol. It is very soft shooting and accurate. To me the gun feels like it was made for my hands...I love to hold this gun! Larry Vickers and Ken Hacklethorn develope this gun for HK. Many people think it is the best 45 on the planet.

The Mags are 10 plus 1 but you actually can get 11 in the mag and the gun will function like that fine.

That being said the 2 negatives were mentioned in the prevous post.

1, The grove in the trigger guard does irratate some shooters in long shooting sessions. Bowie does a fix on this it is called the Vickers modifaction. I smoothed it out on my own problem solved. If you search around you should be able to find some detailed photos of the Vickers mod.

2 The safety is also a decocker. If you really lean on it you could ride it hard enough to decock the pistol. As for now I carry hammer down so it is unlokely it coukd happen to me.
    However there is a fix for this problem get a V9 version of the pistol...IT is safety only no decocker

You my have trouble finding a V9 but any HK45 can be made a V9..I intend to convert mine.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=13580 Check this out https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=17776 (picture of Bowie's Vickers Mod)

HK are extremely reliable guns. Every one should own at least just one. If I could only have one HK the HK45 would be my choice. They are very expensive for a plastic gun. If you get one you will not be disappointed.
    Last edited by nipplehead; 12-24-09 at 11:25. Reason: add thread

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by newyork View Post
    I hear what Grant is saying about the thumb issue. All HKs with safety/decock levers do this to me. Is there a technique to avoid this? If you have small hands like me, shooting in the 1911 style is too uncomfortable on HKs as the lever is up higher than a 1911s. Is the LEM the answer here or is there a certain grip to be had here?
    I've never had it happen, but it *is* a viable concern. I float the safety on the HKs unlike riding the safety on the 1911, but I'm probably creating poor training habits by doing this. When I need the weapon, Murphy will leap out and decock the damned thing.

The other option is to ride your support-hand thumb-knuckle/top-of-your-hand, like you would on a 1911's safety.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast