Thread: AR performance 5.56 bolt

Feedback Score

AR performance 5.56 bolt

So having read this again
    https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...nce-Super-Bolt

and having read this
    https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...93#post1849393

and wanting a better mouse trap without having to go to the E3 bolt and barrel (not knocking the design or company).

What has been the real world experience with the AR Performace 9310 Superbolt.

Breakage (please include details IE barrel length,gas tube length etc)

Failure (please include details IE barrel length,gas tube length etc)

Overall experience good, bad or indifferent

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Allegedly, noone has broken one.
    There have been some issues with the extractors and other minor things requiring some filing, etc. or replacement. Not a big deal, as I understand.

I may be wrong, but they don't make them anymore.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    I have one in an ARP-assembled upper (back when they did that) sent to me on 6/8/12. This upper is a 16" midlength with their intermediate weight barrel (neither skinny nor SOCOM, I believe - I think this profile was discontinued around that time). Only have 544 rounds through that upper, most of it in competitions. No problems of any kind. I realize the round count is still quite low (I have several ARs in rotating use, and not much time to go shooting).

I like the design, which seems to greatly improve the two main failure points or weaknesses of a GI bolt.

They are still in production, see here:

http://www.ar15performance.com/bolts

They come in stock rarely and sell out quickly. At one time Harrison said he was ceasing production of the 5.56 Superbolt because it wasn't needed vs. quality GI bolts, but I guess he changed his mind.
    Last edited by SomeOtherGuy; 02-05-14 at 08:04.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    I feel that a QUALITY Mil-spec bolt is the way to go. You can better mousetrap yourself into issues. I discovered that time and time again in life, but I still sample things

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Without going the KAC E3 route, I would give the LMT dual extractor spring bolt a shot. If not, I would stick with a quality standard bolt.

Feedback Score
    I had thought about the LMT e-bolt but decided against it. This might be bad info on my part but I thought the bolt was meant for a specific function ie 14.5'' barrels not for 16'' barrels. Somebody correct me if I am wrong.

Also why did they not increase diameter around the cam pin hole to increase strenght ?
    Are the lugs radius like they are on the AR Performance at the base of the lugs ?
    And what is the finish on the LMT E-bolt?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Since I have seen sheared lugs and bolts broken at the cam pin hole, I'm all for these new S7 steel bolts. Even the famous Filthy 14 broke a bolt early on I think (it may be on its third now).

The new, but pricey "relia-bolt" looks interesting. The lugs are radiused for easier entry into the barrel extension, but just as thick where they lock up--made of S7, coated in NP3 (not my ideal choice--I still think some of these fancy coatings are slinging all the lubricant off and maybe adding little if any benefit...maybe taking away from performance except for feeling slicker when clean and cleaning a bit easier).

Also, Spikes is making an S7 bolt--oddly, it is dimpled, has 4 gas rings, and will be NiB coated. Both the Reliabolt and Spikes have a lifetime guarantee.
    I'd like to know WHY/HOW the dimples function (if they do). They drop weight a smidge, they increase surface area overall which may mean the fouling is dispersed over a greater area and thus is "cleaner" where it needs to be, AND maybe the dimples reduce friction a bit....not sure if any of these are real reasons (just my conjecture).

ETA: based on my shooting schedule, I expect a good barrel to last me 25-35K rounds without losing too much. However rational (maybe it's not), I worry that a bolt might break at 10K to 15K and then have head-space issues with my backup bolt. So I do like the idea of improved bolts that should go longer.
    Last edited by evi1joe; 02-05-14 at 14:27.