Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Patrol/LE Knifes

Feedback Score

Patrol/LE Knifes

Hey guys. I need some help in figuring out what kind of knife that would suit me best. I am looking for a fixed blade knife that I can wear on my boot/ankle while on duty. It has to be extremely secure so I don't loose it in a foot chase (tis the season), comfortable, and concealed per department policy (thats another story for later). I am looking for probably a decent knife with a nylon sheath in the $150 or less range for both. I am looking to use this as a last resort but most importantly as a utility edge for the usual LE scenarios (seat belts, gates tied shut, and anything you can think of in the line of duty).

Per policy, we cannot have any edged weapon visible so a folder with a pocket clip is out of the question. Does anyone have any experience or ideas with links for something like this. I did a search and a ga-zillion things came up but nothing that I saw for the boot area. I appreciate any comments in advance guys.

Thanks...
    Last edited by Kentucky Cop; 12-27-09 at 15:40.

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    May I be so bold as to suggest a RAT-3?

http://www.ratcutlery.com/rc-3.htm

They also have a variety of sheaths availible to suit different needs:

http://www.ratcutlery.com/optional.htm

You can find some of the older versions made by Ontario, that use D-2 for a steel, rather than 1095. D-2 holds an edge longer, and does not chip as easily. It is more difficult to sharpen, however. I have a RAT-3 in D-2, and like it quite a bit.

It's a slim handle, which conceals well. And a 3-inch blade handles many utility chores just fine.

You could pick up the knife and several sheaths, and stay within your $150 budget. The company is a very strong supporter of law enforcement, and will engrave your badge number on your blade for you. I believe they also offer an LEO discount.

http://www.ratcutlery.com/law%20enforcement.htm

Good luck, and stay safe.
    Last edited by SeriousStudent; 12-27-09 at 15:53. Reason: bad spellur

Feedback Score
    Wow! Thats one Kick "A" knife site. That is basically what I had in my mind. I am going to have to call them on Monday and chat with them about the boot carry and comfort. I only saw on sheath for the application. I am sure they have ran into this before and can point me in the right direction. The RAT company seems well liked on the state, local, and federal levels. Your the man Serious Student. Appreciate it and if anyone else has any ideas....well, let em fly! Great Start!

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    Not a problem. I lived in Louisville for a time, and always enjoyed the hospitality.

Feel free to PM me if I can be of any further assistance.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    If you can go a little bit higher on the $$, the Strider DB is hard to beat. For what you described cutting, possible prying, etc. it is the ticket. If your budget is set at $150 the other choice may be your best bet.

Spence

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Last edited by signal4l; 12-27-09 at 21:32. Reason: fixed links

Feedback Score
    Good suggestions vaspence. That strider is a little high but appears to be great quality like the RAT. I looked at the Gerber store and saw a few possibles but most of these damn knife sites don't show any boot sheaths for their models. The only way I can pull this off would be able to get a great sheath that attaches somehow to the boot or ankle thats extremely secure and comfy.

In the mean time, I will probably be making some calls in the AM to the usual Strider, Kabar, RAT, and Gerber etc.. people to see what kind of offerings they have to secure the knife and work it that way. All great knifes but lets see who has the best designed ankle "holster" for the product. Keep em coming folks!

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    If you find a knife you like, you might consider having a custom sheath made. A custom sheath is considerably less expensive than a custom knife.

Two makers that I can recommend based on previous experience, are Buy Brown for Kydex

http://www.buybrownholsters.com/

and Armorall Leather for moodex.

http://www.armoralleather.com/

David Brown makes some of the best Kydex stuff around. And Dwayne Puckett at Armorall Leather is a flat-out artist. Both will be happy to do a custom project for you, and are quite inventive.

A looooong time ago, a buddy had a leather worker in the Philippines make a boot sheath for his Loveless dagger. It was designed to hug the inside of the ankle, on the outside of the boot.

What made it unique was the series of eyelets on one side of the sheath. He could lace it into the bootlaces, and it had a thin leather strap that wrapped around the ankle to lace on the other side. Solid, simple, and invisible under a pant leg.

Ka-Bar makes a ankle sheath for their TDI knife. That might be something to look into as well.

http://www.tomarskabars.com/1480RIG_INFO.html

Perhaps you could adapt one of these? It's only $20.

And there are a pair of members here that are custom knife makers. Lookup "bgoode" and "cosmok" - their work is excellent, and do very nice custom pieces on request.

Feedback Score
    CRKT Stinger Boot Knife.

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by airwayguru View Post
    CRKT Stinger Boot Knife.
    I have handled a Sting, and would politely offer a recommendation if you chose one. It's advantageous to put a small bit of skateboard tape in the handle indentations. The knife can be a bit slippery to hold under adverse conditions.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast