Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Random thoughts on battle prepping your med kit.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Mike,

Good point about the NPAs staying wrapped.

Well, maybe we should talk about personal med kits and pain killers.

Pain sucks.... real pain that is.

I stopped carrying morphine auto injectors for various reasons, but mainly because we are not officially issued them, I don't have any narcan, respiratory issues, and because of the long time it takes to kick in. I have had to take IV morphine on two occasions and the shit works well.

Fentanyl lolypops seems to be a better choice in the field and more prevalent over here these days. We will be getting these issued this year.

For the civilian, pain meds are really limited if you stick to OTC stuff. Obviously, asprin is not a good choice these days and in fact has been taken off the shelves of the PXs here.

Ok, back to combat prepping stuff. I like to unwrap my cravats and fold them lengthwise, iron em, put a small bit of tape to hold it together and S fold it up. It is an old technique, but a good one.
    ParadigmSRP.com

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    IN- Nice tip on the cravats. Hope your staying safe over there. Just remember to look out for the turds left in dark places by a shit-n-goer. Nothing in the kit for a shit filled sole.

Feedback Score
    IN, silly question time. Why have asprin been taken off the shelves? I can't remember, are tylenol asprin?

In my limited outdoor activity environment I prefer Ibuprofen to asprin for pain.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    It inhibits blood clotting factors. Tylenol is Acetaminophen. They call Ibuprofen by Motrin over here. I used to love the Nurofen brand when I was in the UK.
    Last edited by Danny Boy; 12-31-09 at 11:22.

Feedback Score
    Ah yes, makes sense. Whats good for heart patients is bad for wounded soldiers.

Feedback Score
    Last edited by MIKE G; 05-08-17 at 22:06.

Feedback Score
    We dont have much cause for the lollipops for obvious reasons but Fentanyl is my favorite narcotic analgesic, we are not even carrying morphine anymore as fentanyl is almost the ideal prehospital narcotic analgesic.

Is the military giving intranasal narcan yet? (or any IN stuff for that matter, just curious)
    Last edited by NinjaMedic; 01-01-10 at 01:35.

Feedback Score
    Last edited by MIKE G; 05-08-17 at 22:06.

Feedback Score
    Last edited by MIKE G; 05-08-17 at 22:05.

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Relevant to pain medications like morphine:

There is a percentage of the population that reacts very poorly to morphine or not at all. I learned this as I'm part of that percentage. My body can't process natural opiates.

I had surgery about 18 years ago where they gave me morphine. In terms of pain they might as well have been injecting me with saline. I did sit up and practically projectile vomit across the room. The doctor later explained to me that I "lack the receptors for opiates" (I could be misremembering) and that if I had any more I could go into violent anaphylaxis. He switched to a synthetic opiate and that worked much better for pain even though it was PO not IV.

Fetanyl is an excellent pain medication which I can tolerate. The lollipop is an excellent idea.
    It is bad policy to fear the resentment of an enemy. -Ethan Allen

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast