Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: lighter or heavier 9mm in a short barrel?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

lighter or heavier 9mm in a short barrel?

what will retain the most energy in a little 9mm? it seems that generally, in guns, that shorter barrels are used with heavier bullets. obviously this is a little bit of an overgeneralization... ie pistol bullets are heavier than rifle bullets.

what do they do with the CCI short barrel gold dot ammo? faster powder?
    looking for something to carry in both my G19 and G26. currently just using 115 gr gold dot +p+ i haven't chrono'd it or anything.
    the 147's supposedly have an expansion problem due to the low velocity they attain right?

if anyone has some chrono results on a few kinds of ammo out of a 2.5" barrel or so i'd be interested in seeing them.

thanks

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    From what i've read the 147gr seem to usually suffer the least from a shorter barrel.

This was posted awhile back (in the ballistics forum more than likely)...

Sig-4" barrel (roughly the same as the Glock 19).

MK9-3" barrel (about 1/2" shorter than the Glock 26).

ToddG Guest
    The 115gr +p+ Gold Dot, last I knew, had a tendency to over-expand under some circumstances. I'd definitely go with either the 124gr +p GD or the Short Barrel Gold Dot over the 115gr +p+.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    The 115gr +p+ Gold Dot, last I knew, had a tendency to over-expand under some circumstances. I'd definitely go with either the 124gr +p GD or the Short Barrel Gold Dot over the 115gr +p+.
    hmm... it's kinda all i could find in the gold variety. penetration suffers a bit then eh?
    over expansion is due to excessive velocity right? so out of a shorter barrel, velocity is lower.. might be ok? the longest barrel i'm shooting it out of is 4"

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerm View Post
    From what i've read the 147gr seem to usually suffer the least from a shorter barrel.

This was posted awhile back (in the ballistics forum more than likely)...

Sig-4" barrel (roughly the same as the Glock 19).

MK9-3" barrel (about 1/2" shorter than the Glock 26).
    wow that short barrel ammo barely helps....

ToddG Guest
    Enough people have been shot with (normal) 124gr +p GD out of G26s that I'd feel pretty comfortable with it. Enough people have been shot with that ammo out of G19s that it's arguably one of the most proven rounds in the country.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I chrono some Speer 124+P Gold dots from my SW 3913 and they averaged 1168 fps.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    All my 9s are feed 147 grain premium hollow points. The chart clearly shows that the heaviest bullet loses the least (percent wise) velocity when shot from your typical 3 to 3.5 inch barrel semi auto, which in reality is more like a 2 to 2.5" barrel when you substract the chamber length which does nothing to generate velocity.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    Enough people have been shot with (normal) 124gr +p GD out of G26s that I'd feel pretty comfortable with it. Enough people have been shot with that ammo out of G19s that it's arguably one of the most proven rounds in the country.
    ya think

ToddG Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Detmongo View Post
    ya think
    Ya see, I know a guy who knows this guy...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast