Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Got my M&P, any advice

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    before you stipple it try some 3m floor tape from home depot you can make it into what ever you want I stippled 2 glocks I have and finally got what I wanted out of the tape. I should have taped first stippled later but you live and learn

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by M4arc View Post
    But my offer for next week still stands
    Please let me know when you get into the area next week. I went to the range tonight. I am a southpaw and I will normally / naturally hit low and to the left. Then I concentrate, work on better grip, stance, and sight alignment and I start hitting center mass.

But tonight I was off and hitting low and to the right! I was completely stumped. Was it the fact that the range was chilly? The fact that I was very hungry? Yeah I could whip excuses out of my butt till the cows came home but the short of the long is that I sucked like I never have tonight. No matter how freaking hard I tried I could only hit center mass about 20% of the time. I even got desperate and had the smith at the range/store shoot my pistol to confirm that it was operator error and not a mechanical problem. He confirmed that it was an id-1-ot issue. But for the life of me, after 150 rounds and swapping through all three grips, I could not figure what the hell I was doing wrong. So at that point I just gave up and concentrated on helping my son and daughter with their .22s. At least they could get good groups on target.

So if you are going to be in town and feel up to critiquing me, please do.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by HES View Post
    Please let me know when you get into the area next week.
    PM sent.

ToddG Guest
    But tonight I was off and hitting low and to the right!
    That's actually the more common ailment for a lefty like you.

The traditional diagnosis would be simple trigger jerk. M&Ps can sometimes have rather significant overtravel in their triggers which exacerbates the problem.

However, I tend to follow the line of thinking that Rob Leatham discusses in his classes, which is that trigger control isn't quite as important as we normally think and rather it's anticipation that leads to a lot of the low, low-left, low-right stuff we see.

Given that you shoot low-left with some guns and low-right with others, I'd say the "low" part is primarily a function of anticipation. You can use the Ball & Dummy Drill to address that problem.

If you're using some part of your trigger finger other than the first segment (preferably nearer to the tip), try that, as well. It may help solve the horizontal offset.

Feedback Score
    Please let me know when you get into the area next week. I went to the range tonight. I am a southpaw and I will normally / naturally hit low and to the left. Then I concentrate, work on better grip, stance, and sight alignment and I start hitting center mass.

But tonight I was off and hitting low and to the right! I was completely stumped. Was it the fact that the range was chilly? The fact that I was very hungry? Yeah I could whip excuses out of my butt till the cows came home but the short of the long is that I sucked like I never have tonight. No matter how freaking hard I tried I could only hit center mass about 20% of the time. I even got desperate and had the smith at the range/store shoot my pistol to confirm that it was operator error and not a mechanical problem. He confirmed that it was an id-1-ot issue. But for the life of me, after 150 rounds and swapping through all three grips, I could not figure what the hell I was doing wrong. So at that point I just gave up and concentrated on helping my son and daughter with their .22s. At least they could get good groups on target.

So if you are going to be in town and feel up to critiquing me, please do.
    Post some pics of your target the next time you head to the range, but being a South Paw has nothing to do with shooting, since I practice strong and support side shooting with carbine and pistol. You solved the problem yourself in that portion in blue above. Do that until you are consistently hitting center mass, then move to smaller and smaller targets, then speed up your ability to engage smaller and smaller targets, as fast and as accurately as you can. Then increase the distance, then work on speed and accuracy again. You have to master the basics, to get consistent shot placement.
    For God and the soldier we adore, In time of danger, not before! The danger passed, and all things righted, God is forgotten and the soldier slighted." - Rudyard Kipling

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by awm14hp View Post
    before you stipple it try some 3m floor tape from home depot you can make it into what ever you want I stippled 2 glocks I have and finally got what I wanted out of the tape. I should have taped first stippled later but you live and learn
    I strongly disagree.

Spending the money on a PERMANENT, PROFESSIONAL modification like the jobs done by www.boresightsolutions.com is vastly superior to any kind of non permanent addition unless of course you're worried about resale value. Regardless, these days with the quality of work that certain smiths are putting out, stippling vastly increases the value of the firearm.

You can tailor the grip "tackiness" to exactly what you need and you will NOT tear apart clothing with a professional stipple job from Ben. The 3m tape wears out and has caused many a shirt of mine to pill.

In the end, its all about budget. If you can save up the cash for a stipple job, do it, you will NOT regret it.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123