Thread: I hate the fact that there are no wrong answers...

Feedback Score

Smile I hate the fact that there are no wrong answers...

I love to see what people think with these scenarios.....

I think everyone can agree that the brand, caliber, mag capacity and so on does not matter as much as many people out there think. I feel it is safe to say that we can all agree on Reliability (note I did not say total for all weapons will eventually fail) is number one, accuracy is second with safety fourth. Everything else as far as mag capacity, weight, size, caliber, manufacturer and so on is all last.

With out going into caliber or manufacturer wars I would like to pose a question. Being as my funds are limited I will be purchasing a single handgun to do all. Now this is not the best thing to do but the only thing I can afford to do. Many get on these sites and ask what should I get?? Well I am asking that because I have thought this through and have come up with a few choices that I cannot choose from.

Glock 19: Pros: Other than it being a G19 and in 9mm (cheap ammo) I have been through Glock Armorers course years ago. Also parts, mags, sights, ect are cheaper than most.

S&WMP9/40/45F: I like this model. I have had them in the past and thanks to an ex wife and uncle sam I had to sell this one. Mags if you look around are not that much, I rate it as comprable to a Glock.

HK USP 9/40/45C V1: I went through HK armorers school on 00 and I was happy to see that these guns are not complicated to work on. Parts and mags are expensive and hard to come by) Customer service through HK has traditionally been below par though. Plus with the newer models out I feel I might be able to get a used one at a good price.

The SW and G19 I would probably be sending to Bowie tactical concepts for work on the grip and trigger job. The HK may get a work over by Bowie for the grip but that is it.

I am going to get this for CCW/IDPA (need to join), home defense. I have picked these for reliability, accuracy, safety, durability, capacity and the fact that I can get almost any add on that I need.

So I ask... Which one and Why? I love to see sugestions.

ToddG Guest
    As much as I like the HK P30, I'm not a huge fan of the full size USPs purely from an ergonomic standpoint. But you're right, a P30 is going to be harder to find used at a good price compared to the USP. (on the plus side, no one in the world needs to send a P30 anywhere to get a perfect grip fit)

Between the M&P9 and G19, the M&P has more ergonomic flexibility by far and should again preclude the need for aftermarket modification. If you really feel the need for some action work, it's easy to do yourself; if that's not something you want to delve into, getting a good trigger on the M&P isn't usually too expensive.

The G19 has a trigger out of the box that, personally, I wouldn't muck with beyond possibly changing the connector and trigger spring to fit your personal taste. The grip, however, is either right for you or you're sending it away for a major facelift.

If price is a factor, I'd seriously look for a turnkey solution that didn't require custom work and all the expenses involved therewith.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    AFCATM for USAF CATM? They are all good choices. I went with Glock, I like the availability of a conversion kit. Hopefully there will be one for the M&P soon, it's not likely for the H&K. I do prefer the HK45 to the USP and the P30 seems to be doinfg well in ToddGs test.

Pick the one you like better. They all have strengths and weaknesses. I would keep in mind you will likely have a hard time getting your money back out of custom work if you change your mind down the road.

Do a search on each platform and you'll get tons of good and bad about each.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Here's a sticky with the collected wisdom of the forum on pistols:

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=30221

I agree that which one you pick doesn't really matter. One would be better served to spend more time practicing and more money on training and ammo. The pay off from that will far exceed the minor differences in design and ergonomics in each pistol.

M_P

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by AFCATM View Post
    So I ask... Which one and Why? I love to see sugestions.
    Between the M&P 9 and the Glock 19...which one do you really need customized to make it useful as an every day weapon for you?

My answer would be to buy the other one.

The M&P is more flexible from the box. A lot is made about the trigger but speaking as a guy who owns stock and custom M&Ps...and who's currently futzing with an aftermarket sear...it really doesn't matter that much. I can shoot a box stock M&P every bit as well as my guns with the cheater triggers. That's thanks in large part to excellent training and practicing what I was taught. I spend lots of time playing with the minute details of the M&P trigger, but that's because I'm just a gun nerd and we do that sort of thing.

Generally speaking, the M&P trigger gets pretty decent after the gun breaks in with some live fire and dryfire.

If the Glock works for you, it's a bit cheaper overall to own and work on the Glock...especially since you have armorer training. The M&P isn't hard to work on, but it's not as easy to work on as the Glock and there aren't as many readily available parts for it as for the Glock.

Feedback Score
    AFCATM...welcome aboard...not enough of us around here!

After having learned to shoot the Gov't issue M9, anything should feel like an improvement.

I went with the G19. I'm not a Glock lover but this particular model offers much in capacity vs weight vs size...overall I feel it is very efficient.

At the time the M&Ps were new so I didn't jump on it as I wanted to give them time to get the kinks worked out...the G19 was already proven.

For me these decisions are easy...it all comes down to which one I shoot the best and I don't just mean accuracy, that also means which one I can manipulate the best and shoot well at speed.

Good luck!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I would include a SIG P228 or P226 in the mix.

Feedback Score
    To let you know I am CATM for the Air Force. I was out for a while and worked at a gun store. Un like many though in the buisness I knew my products. While there I went through many guns: Sigs, Colt, Wilson Combat, Kimber, HK, Glock, Browning I had 9's, 40's, 45's, .357sigs.

I like the sigs fine but I think if I were to do sig I would go with a 229.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Complete hijack but where did you guys serve? I was at Tyndall and Aviano 94-98.

Feedback Score
    Served:
    Incirlick 94-95
    Hickam 96-99
    Civilian 99
    Rejoined AF in 2002
    Moody 2002-2005 CATM
    Dover 2005-2008 CATM
    Hurlburt 2009-Present CATM