Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8161718

Thread: Interesting thread on GT about bullet performance in actual shootings

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gan1hck View Post
    more ammo isn't always better, especially if you can't hit diddly with the gun it comes out of.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltaKilo View Post
    Well, absolutely. I would expect any sane person to avail themselves of every technical and tactical advantage available.
    more ammo isn't always better, especially if you can't hit diddly with the gun it comes out of.
    so......"more ammo" is not considered a "technical" and/or a "tactical advantage"?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    to follow up....when exactly is "more ammo isn't always better"?
    Last edited by gan1hck; 01-11-11 at 13:50.

Feedback Score
    so......"more ammo" is not considered a "technical" and/or a "tactical advantage"?
    Think of it this way: I CAN get a 50-round drum magazine for my 1911. I CAN get 30 round magazines for a glock. Just because I CAN get them, does that mean that I should?

Let's take a step back and consider tactics for a moment. One of my best tactics as a civilian is the same as undercover LEO: Concealment. One conceals a firearm, one conceals intent, etc.

So, first of all, a high-cap 9mm, while offering an advantage of more bullets does not necessarily overcome the increase in weight, nor the reduced concealability from a larger double-stack magazine or wider frame.

Secondly, the shooter, for example me, has big hands. Smaller concealable subcompact 9mms which hold about the same amount of ammo as my 1911, while easily concealed, are not easy or comfortable for me to shoot. Ergo, I cannot hit accurately with them because I have difficulty getting a good grip. In a gunfight, where SPEED is the key, making inaccurate shots is a bad thing. For that reason, some shooters, such as me, may choose to use a 1911 with .45 ACP ammunition over 9mm guns that aren't as comfortable/familiar.

I make the decision to practice and be very good with what I choose to carry. I carry a 1911 with 8+1 in the gun, and two spare 10-round magazines. That gives me 29 rounds of ammunition. I am also practiced and capable of doing tactical reloads and whatever is necessitated.

While it's tempting to increase my round count, I know how I shoot with this gun, and I'm good with this gun. Higher capacity doesn't necessarily mean better odds, at least in my experience.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    well then. ok.
    Think of it this way: I CAN get a 50-round drum magazine for my 1911. I CAN get 30 round magazines for a glock. Just because I CAN get them, does that mean that I should?

Let's take a step back and consider tactics for a moment. One of my best tactics as a civilian is the same as undercover LEO: Concealment. One conceals a firearm, one conceals intent, etc.

So, first of all, a high-cap 9mm, while offering an advantage of more bullets does not necessarily overcome the increase in weight, nor the reduced concealability from a larger double-stack magazine or wider frame.

Secondly, the shooter, for example me, has big hands. Smaller concealable subcompact 9mms which hold about the same amount of ammo as my 1911, while easily concealed, are not easy or comfortable for me to shoot. Ergo, I cannot hit accurately with them because I have difficulty getting a good grip. In a gunfight, where SPEED is the key, making inaccurate shots is a bad thing. For that reason, some shooters, such as me, may choose to use a 1911 with .45 ACP ammunition over 9mm guns that aren't as comfortable/familiar.

I make the decision to practice and be very good with what I choose to carry. I carry a 1911 with 8+1 in the gun, and two spare 10-round magazines. That gives me 29 rounds of ammunition. I am also practiced and capable of doing tactical reloads and whatever is necessitated.

While it's tempting to increase my round count, I know how I shoot with this gun, and I'm good with this gun. Higher capacity doesn't necessarily mean better odds, at least in my experience.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

just this though....why are you comparing a subcompact 9 to a full sized 1911?

shouldn't you be comparing similarly sized guns?
    Last edited by gan1hck; 01-11-11 at 15:31.

Feedback Score
    just this though....why are you comparing a subcompact 9 to a full sized 1911?

shouldn't you be comparing similarly sized guns?
    If you re-read what I said, I started out by suggesting that a wide-frame, larger double-stack auto was more difficult to conceal. For concealability, one might, then, suggest "okay, well, why not use a subcompact or a compact?" and I was addressing that as well by saying I don't shoot nearly as well with them.

A full-size 1911 is narrow enough that it conceals effortlessly on me, and I can throw spare magazines on my belt or in a pocket without a huge issue. I find that I am less able to conceal a larger-frame semi-auto with a double-stack magazine, although the Smith M&P seems to conceal very well for me and I'm considering possibly switching to that.

I'll always personally stick with the .45 ACP because it works, I like it, and it's my personal preference. I shoot very well with it. I also dislike guns like the Glock because it has no manual safety like the 1911. I much prefer a single action with a safety such as the 1911, again for my own personal reasons. At least that's something I can get on the M&P. But, then, with a $2500 custom 1911 riding in my holster, I'm not in a hurry to spend more money to gain maybe 2 extra rounds in the gun, and nothing extra in spare mags since I already carry 10 round magazines spare, and have enough mag pouches and 10-round magazines that I could easily pack in enough ammo to fight a war, i suppose...
    Last edited by DeltaKilo; 01-11-11 at 15:51.

Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8161718