Thread: comfort carry holsters - a review

Feedback Score

comfort carry holsters - a review

The list of Hybrid Holster makers is a relatively short one. Some of the Holster Industry's top names come to light with a quick Google search, Tucker, Comp-tac, Hoffner's, and Crossbreed are pretty much the top three that have been recommended in the past.

I'd like to introduce you to (clickable image)

During a very extensive search for a in the pants holster to fit my glock 19 AND mounted Streamlight TLR-1, I ran across Rob Durham. When I first contact Rob he was in the process of moving his shop into the back of one of his local gun shops. This move has enabled him to make holsters for pretty much anything that the shop might carry.

After hammering out all the details of what I was looking for Rob was able to put together a mold for my combination and for future use

Due to the holidays and complications with my local post office having extended holiday hours, I wasn't able to get the holster till 1/4/2010.

The holster is constructed from a thick grade of cowhide leather and .093 thick kydex.

Instead of leaving a waxed backing on the holster Rob has mated a second layer of leather for added comfort. It does not affect the flexibility of the holster.

It doesn't affect the thickness either. This holster is fairly thin.

As pictured below you can see the layers in the lower left. I think I would have liked to see him run a row of stitching In the sculpted track running the entire perimeter of the holster, but we'll see how it holds up in the long run as is.

The Holster is set up for adjustable ride height and/or cant. It has Three holes on each side to adjust the placement of the belt clips.

All of Rob's holsters allow you to tuck your shirt in, further concealing your sidearm. Note the gap between the clip and holster backing.

Something I really thought was a good idea was adding a lip to the bottom side of the holster. Some manufacturers leave this off, depending on the tightness of the holster for retention.

The holster Features a sweat guard. As of right now there is not a "combat cut" like cross breed offers. But I have a feeling it will be an added feature in future holsters. It does not effect the draw, but would be a tad more comfortable on first "grab".

More pics to come, including mounted pictures, and initial wear thoughts.

brought to you by:

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Are those metal or plastic clips?
    As the great warrior poet Ice-Cube once said, "If the day does not require an AK, it is good."

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by vaglocker View Post
    Are those metal or plastic clips?
    Those are metal but you can use plastic ones if you wish, I have purchased them separately from makers. I use velcro clips for the most part.

Buckaroo
    "It is better to be a Warrior in a Garden than a Gardner in a War"
    Let's use the First Amendment to protect the Second so we can avoid using the Second to protect the First.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Looks sweet. I don't carry with a light attached but I was talking with a relative who works for a federal agency a few weeks ago and he said he needed something like this. Only problem is he is left handed and I doubt this is on the approved list.

Feedback Score
    they are metal clips. he doesn't have plastic listed on his site, but i'm sure the ones from other manufacturers will bolt right up.

After playing with the cants I finally settled in on the front clip all the way to the top and the rear clip in the middle position. It provides a slight cant, and makes the weapon print ALOT less.

The Following Series are taken at the 3 o'clock position. That is directly on the hip. You'll notice in this position that it "squares off my side". Also note the bulge around the pocket. This position is NOT okay while seated. The grip and sweat guard tends to push into my side in this position while seated.

From the rear in this carry position the weapon is still visible, but not as much

Same carry position while wearing a t-shirt:

And Finally Tucked. Again note the bulge at the pocket:

The next series is my personal favorite. Around 4-430 carry position. In this position there is little to no bulge in the pants, and the grip is pulled tightly against the body.

Position 4 with a t-shirt covering

Position 4 with the shirt tucked in:

Last edited by urbantacticalgearreview; 01-06-10 at 18:05.

Feedback Score
    The final position I tried out was the small of the back. There is next to no print, no bulge, but was a tad uncomfortable, due to the length, while seated.

SOB with the shirt tucked in:

and finally drawing from the small of the back position:

Feedback Score
    Very nice review.

I was just curious as to your EDC belt. Do you notice any lack of performance with that leather belt at all? It just appears from the pictures to be a flimbsy/soft leather belt?

Again solid review!

Feedback Score
    it is just that. prior to getting this holster my edc belt was a osoe cobra belt. problem being that this holster doesn't fit it. there again, not many itw holsters do fit a 2" belt. guess i'll probably have to make some.

but that belt works, it's not the greatest, but it works.
    Last edited by urbantacticalgearreview; 01-07-10 at 02:31.