Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Safariland SLS Vs. ALS

Feedback Score

Safariland SLS Vs. ALS

Deleted
    Last edited by FishingFool; 10-23-12 at 20:09.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by FishingFool View Post
    Trying to decide on a new holster but can't decide on how which one. The SLS seems more intuitive but the als appears to be faster. Has anyone used both extensively?
    I use a 6360 daily for 3+ years. Very fast with training and practice. I prefer it over holsters with the hood only.

Mike

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I've been using the SLS for about 8 years and the ALS for about 2.5 years. I greatly prefer the ALS and find it to be a more natural motion that rolling the sls hood. The ALS is faster for me

Feedback Score
    Deleted
    Last edited by FishingFool; 10-23-12 at 20:09.

Feedback Score
    I've used both. I prefer the ALS system. It is wicked fast, very secure and easy to learn. Best of all, it automatically locks the gun upon reholstering.

Modifications to the SLS (sentry hood) have helped defeat the front gun grab threat. BG's used to train to slap/pull the hood to disengage the retention hood.

Officers routinely neglect to secure the hoods, and under high risk/threat situations, subconsciously unsecure the holster and forget it's open. I am guilty of that.

The ALS eliminates this.

Both are great holsters.

Feedback Score
    My duty holster has both the SLS and ALS. I find both to be very fast with practice. They also issue an off duty holster with just the ALS which is pretty close to drawing from a holster without retention at all because its so well thought out. I woulnt hesitate to use a holster with either, or both

ToddG Guest
    The ALS is definitely the faster system. It is easier to learn and easier to teach. It also has the major benefit (IMO) of locking the gun every time it's holstered rather than relying on the operator to snap or close anything.

The SLS has an edge from a weapons retention standpoint. This follows the basic concept of "the harder it is for you to do on purpose, the harder it is for someone else to do for you." The SLS can definitely be fast if you train with it, but the movement is more fumble prone when you're rushing and a little bit slower when you're not.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    In my experience the SLS did not do it for me in Close Quarters training. I have had one since '03 and it always worked well in convoys and as a way to carry the pistol but the gate gets dirt and junk in it and slows the draw down. It needs an occasional cleaning.

Where it really failed was in tight quarters and transitioning from rifle. The extra second it took to draw was very frustrating. I've since switched to a Serpa attached to my plate carrier.

Stay on top of the gate or the time you really nee a good draw might be the first time the dirt and gunk finally start inhibiting it's performance.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Same can be said of the one time that a piece of grit/gravel/junk gets caught under the release lever of a SERPA. Better a slow draw or inhibited performance from gunk than futilely trying to claw out a pistol that might as well be locked in a safe while some amped-up livestock-diddling durka is shooting at you. It's NOT a good feeling. I personally know of three others from my former battalion that had the same sort of thing happen, though under less stressful circumstances. That aspect of the SERPA is among the reasons none too many are fond of it.

I swapped to a 6004 immediately after, and never had any problem getting the gun out of the holster. Facts being facts, some draws were distinctly slower than others, and I didn't like that aspect, though it was better than knowing that the gun'd likely get jammed in the holster again after wading ashore from the muck on the banks of the Euphrates.

I've since gone to using the 6387 series, ALS only. [music]Oooohhhhh, sweet mystery of life, at last I've fouuuuuuuund youuuuuuuuuuuu[/music].
    Last edited by JSantoro; 01-04-10 at 20:50.
    Contractor scum, PM Infantry Weapons

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast