Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Safariland SLS Vs. ALS

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I have an ALS(dont remember the model number) for my MP9 and its great. I dont have any experience with the SLS so I cant comment on it. The draw with the ALS is very natural and retention is excellent.

Feedback Score
    I think the the ALS is a superior system to the SLS. The ALS is more secure as the button is not easily activated from the front. Unless you put the hood guard on the SLS system, it is very easy to defeat. I consider it less secure than a thumbsnap. The only issue with the ALS is the ease or lack of it when it comes to accessing it with the support hand only. I find a BUG on the support side easier than trying to get a pistol out of the ALS.
    http://www.dvctargets.com - Promoting realism and excellence in combative shooting.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    What are the experiences of those running the ALS/SLS combo?
    Only hits count......you can not miss fast enough to catch up

"I'm just a one man army waging jihad against shitty ARs, one rifle at a time." Will Larson (IraqGunz) I miss you my friend

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SWATcop1911 View Post
    I don't care for it. I find myself sometimes missing the ALS switch and not being able to draw the gun for a moment. And this is after several years of using it

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I used an SLS for several years in patrol and on my tactical rig for search warants. Once I started teaching recruits, I switched to the same holster they are now issued, which is SLS/ALS. At first, I hated it. However, it grew on me. With practice, the speed of the draw with either the SLS or SLS/ALS holster is about the same. What did screw me up was going back to my old SLS holster last week. I kept looking for the ALS button.

If I went back to patrol next week, I'd carry the SLS/ALS holster. The added retention, and auto lock upon reholstering are worth their weight in gold.

If you are going from an SLS only holster to SLS/ALS be prepared for some frustration until you put in your time learning the new system.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    One other thing to consider would be what gun are you intending to carry? For instance, a 1911 in an SLS/ALS is no bueno. Thumb rocks hood forward, thumb presses ALS to rear, thumb is now under thumb safety on 1911, raise thumb above thumb safety, thumb depresses thumb safety, thumb is now very tired and confused from changing directions so many times.

Feedback Score
    I use the 6360 which is the "SLS/ALS combo." IMO, it's the best duty holster invented yet. I've used the SSIII, Raptor Lvl3, SLS and now this one. It's the duty holster to have now. Everyone that I know that uses it, loves it.

Feedback Score
    Deleted
    Last edited by FishingFool; 10-23-12 at 20:09.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by S-1 View Post
    I use the 6360 which is the "SLS/ALS combo." IMO, it's the best duty holster invented yet. I've used the SSIII, Raptor Lvl3, SLS and now this one. It's the duty holster to have now. Everyone that I know that uses it, loves it.
    I just went through a LE academy with a SLS/ALS combo. It's the only retention holster I've used, but I like it a lot. I didn't see anything else I would rather have, and I was just as fast or faster than anyone else from the draw to the first shot.
    "Mr. 9mm here, he's the shepherd protecting my righteous ass in the valley of darkness." - Pulp Fiction

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SWATcop1911 View Post
    i don't mind it (i'm just a civvie and i use this holster at the range, where we run drills that involve running around, etc). the SLS hood can just be left rotated forward as if it weren't there, and the holster used as an ALS model only, if you feel that there's a need to draw in the very near future. then, the SLS hood can be rotated back if you feel the need for extra security (crawling, running etc).

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast