Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Finish stronger than IonBond????

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

New Finish stronger than IonBond????

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/

Anyone seen or know anything about this new finish being used on CZ's new 1911? They seem to be saying it's much tougher that IonBonds DLC finish which would be pretty amazing.

Feedback Score
    35 (100%)
    Interesting. I know (but not from first hand experience) that ion bond is very tough and resistant to wear, I am glad to see the newer finishes leaning this way and protecting against rust.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    i thought it was a melonite type finish. i had this done to a stainless 1911 and it seems indestructible. ion-bond is still a great finish, that is hard to beat.

Melonite done by Drake Oldham:

Last edited by theJanitor; 01-06-10 at 17:15.
    "you give peace a chance, I'll stay here and cover you, in case it doesn't work out"

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    It was my understanding that the melonite finish is not actually a black finish, but a surface treatment that protects rust...and that the actual black finish is a top layer to the melonite.

For example: Glocks tenifer finish which is pretty much the same thing as melonite can be scratched without too much trouble...but is very resistant to corrosion.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    QPQ is the toughest finish I am aware of, it is actually a surface treatment. My P226 Elite ST went in for it the other day.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Skeptical.... Must see to believe, but I guess I like a little honest wear on my 1911's anyway...

Its kinda a shame that DW ruined a great niche market that they once filled... 2k for a DW. PASS...

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeCLeonard View Post
    It was my understanding that the melonite finish is not actually a black finish, but a surface treatment that protects rust...and that the actual black finish is a top layer to the melonite.

For example: Glocks tenifer finish which is pretty much the same thing as melonite can be scratched without too much trouble...but is very resistant to corrosion.
    as was my understanding, but it must be such a great base layer, that i can't scratch mine either.

D90, i wholeheartedly agree. $2k DW is just too much. I bought a full house Bob Miller built on a DW for less than that. used, of course
    "you give peace a chance, I'll stay here and cover you, in case it doesn't work out"

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by d90king View Post
    Skeptical.... Must see to believe, but I guess I like a little honest wear on my 1911's anyway...

Its kinda a shame that DW ruined a great niche market that they once filled... 2k for a DW. PASS...
    Amen brother. At 1200 to 1300, a DW Valor was an appealing option. At 2K, it's an overpriced, mass-produced 1911 that is nowhere nearly as attractive as simply stepping up to a Wilson, Brown SF, or Springfield Pro. Heck, if I'm going to spend 2K, may as well spend $200 to $500 more and get something that's proven to be top of the line reliability and performance.

ToddG Guest
    SIG used a QPQ on the slides for a while mid-decade. The finish was so strong that it accelerated wear on frame rails and the barrel surface. A little imperfection in the slide, like a burr, instead of breaking off with use would instead gouge the holy hell out of whatever parts it mated with.

A super-tough finish is great, but not if it interferes with the overall function of the gun.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    SIG used a QPQ on the slides for a while mid-decade. The finish was so strong that it accelerated wear on frame rails and the barrel surface. A little imperfection in the slide, like a burr, instead of breaking off with use would instead gouge the holy hell out of whatever parts it mated with.

A super-tough finish is great, but not if it interferes with the overall function of the gun.
    I thought this was one of their Nitron formulas that did this and was unaware that SIG had ever QPQ'ed a handgun. I thought Ilaflon, Ceracote, Nitron, Blued, Nickle, Natural SS were the only finishes offered OEM by them "recently". Do you have more info on this?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast