Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pros & Cons of standard front sight assy. vs folding type

Feedback Score

Pros & Cons of standard front sight assy. vs folding type

I would like opinions on what are advantages or disadvantages of fixed standard front sight assembly verses a BUIS type setup?

Feedback Score
    Pro's of Standard Front Sight: Rock solid, usually already installed on the rifle, keeps the standard look of an AR rifle, allows co-wintness of electronic sights without having to flip up first.

Con's: Some consider it annoying to look thru a sight like a eo-tec or aimpoint and see the front sight post. Flip up version allows full view thru these sights and standard scopes without having anything in your way, giving it a cleaner view.

It all comes down to what you plan on doing with your rifle. I mainly target shoot from 25-100 yards. So I like the standard front sight to use in conjunction with my eo-tec. I simply put the red dot at the top of the sight post and fire away. However, for longer shooting, 100-400 yards, especially if you want an optic using any kind of zoom above 1X, I would recommend a flip down version, so you dont have a grey blur in the bottom of your scope.

Also, and maybe its just me, but I think the standard front sight post helps keept the original look of the AR compared with some of the "star wars" rifles you see. But its really not something to make your decision on.

Feedback Score
    I use aimpoint and Eotech with BUIS on my M4`s FLAT TOPS

Both have a FIXED FSB

The FSB doesnt bother me at all

The only way I would use a FOLDING Front Sight is with a SCOPE

or if I used a rifle length QUAD rail on a M4

Feedback Score
    I have pretty much the same view I think that for a CQB type carbine w/ EOTECH the front sight assembly is fine but say an ACOG that blur is a distraction to me. Sound like a good excuse to build one of each .

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I can't stand fixed front sight towers in my field of view! I had an epiphany several years ago while on a moving target range. Using an M4 w/Aimpoint tracking moving targets with other targets popping up. The front sight was annoying as hell when tracking movers and generally buggered up the lower 1/3 of my FOV. I then used an FAL w/Aimpoint where my FOV was totally clear. What a difference! I sent my M4 upper off to GG&G the next day for a modular front sight/gas block. If my optic goes tits up irons takes a second.
    It's my preference and works for me.

My Agency currently uses Eotech with the Dominator mount and in that configuration I can ably ignore the front sight tower.
    Victory needs no explanation. Defeat allows none

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    My fixed FSB bothered me at first through my Aimpoint ML2, because I had it mounted so low that the co-witness was positioned in the center of the field of view.

Then got the Larue LT150 mount that raises the ML2 to where the cowitness is in the lower third of the field. The FSB is now much less distracting with almost all of the view wide open, but still retains instant co-witness capability.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Here's the meat and potatos of it-

Standard FSB retains enough look of the M16 and your rifle will be recognized as such. flip up fronts and then your rilfe will look more exotic at the ranges where there are a lot of novices watching.

take your pic. that's wha it boils down to really...

i have a standard to try and keep a certain amount of the original M16 profile in my rifle. I like new gadgets but the give and take doesn't cut it. If I had 4 rifles you'd see 4 combinations though...

Feedback Score
    Pro-Folding
    It was easier to pack in one of the soft cases I use. (no snag)

Con-folding
    It is easier to break/loose.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I used to find the fixed FS very distracting when using my Aimpoint. Until I was forced to deal with it because I bought a pencil-thin barrel andthe 4-rail gas block I had would not fit it AND I was too cheap another gas block.

I no longer find it a distraction even when using the 3-power magnifier.

Compared to folding sights, the fixed FSB is a more KISS approach to the "problem" (for the lack of a better term). YMMV.
    We must not believe the Evil One when he tells us that there is nothing we can do in the face of violence, injustice and sin. - Pope Francis I

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    The more time you have on the weapon, the less you see the FSB through an optic.
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast