Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: FDE spray paint? Alumahyde?

Feedback Score
    The $16.95 + shipping paint came in and the hand guard is the result.

You do need to have or be able to borrow an air brush or purchase their $11.00 Preval Sprayer which looks to me like a spray can that you put the paint in.

Cost is way more than $10.00 but it works.

Feedback Score
    If anyone is interested, Aervoe Field Drab (FS30118) is NOT a match for FDE. In fact, it wasn't even close. I test-sprayed an old Colt 20rd mag I had laying around. The color is like a tan mixed with a pea-soup green. Looked like vomit.

I might get a can of Alumahyde Earth Brown and Coyote. People say Earth Brown is a closer match to FDE, but the swatch of Coyote they show on the website looks lighter, like FDE is.
    "I can't think of nothin' finer than a fine naked woman holding a gun." --- Frankie Figs

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Wish I could have warned you before you ordered it...

I think part of the problem is that FDE is still a fairly new color, and only recently has it come close to anything resembling standardization. It's kind of like when "coyote" was the hot, new color, and there were several different variations floating around. It took some of us a while to figure out that something marketed as "coyote" could be Coyote Tan, Coyote Brown or just plain old khaki with a name change.

If you look at early prototype stuff that SOCOM was calling "flat dark earth" it looks noticeably different from what Magpul, Vltor or Tango Down sells today. I guess it's all part of the process of figuring out what works best for the guys that need it.

Derek
    An evil soul wields an evil sword.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Krylon

Quote Originally Posted by -H- View Post
    I like Krylon myself. $1 a can and when people piss and moan that you "ruined" your weapon that costs "x" amount of dollars and get a look on their face like someone farted in their mouth when you tell them you did your paint job with krylon, the entertainment value is priceless.
    Are you serious about the Krylon? I have been debating going that route.....lol What do you put on it for a protective coat??

Do you have any pics of toys/furniture you ahve Kryloned?

Thanks buddy.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tiger seven View Post
    I think part of the problem is that FDE is still a fairly new color, and only recently has it come close to anything resembling standardization.
    Derek, I think you are 100% correct. I am guessing Brownell's will come out with something close to FDE soon. I am really only looking to paint some rail panels and accessories that will be mounted on my FF rail, away from my FDE Vltor and TD grip, so a verrrry slight color difference may not even be noticeable. I think I will try the Alumahyde colors previously mentioned...
    "I can't think of nothin' finer than a fine naked woman holding a gun." --- Frankie Figs

Feedback Score
    Turbo Supra and the others,

For some reason I had it stuck in my mind that Aervoe FD and FDE were matches.

My appologies to all for contributing to the "errornet."
    (insert foot in mouth)

Turbo Supra,

I would be willing to buy that can of FD off of you for your troubles.

sorry gents,
    D

Feedback Score
    Durka, don't worry, bro. It was cheap. I appreciate the offer, though. I will just use the Aervoe paint on another camo project. It won't go to waste.

Feedback Score
    All rifles painted with Brownells Aluma-Hyde II Earth Brown (083-002-512)
    Except the AR with the VLTOR A1.(BTW, the MAGPUL stocks are factory FDE)

Feedback Score
    Nice sticks! Looks like Earth Brown is a close match!

Feedback Score
    Wes1

Very Nice

AWESOME COLLECTION

Does it stay on pretty well?

Will Brake Cleaner Take it off? I use Non Clhorinated ONLY
    I spray out my uppers before I clean them

I have a Spare M4

its my Old Bushmaster I bought in 2000
    I sold the upper A1 shorty and Stock
    Now its a Bushy/VLTOR with a LMT 14.5/Phantom 551
    Much better