Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: 1911 Change the Springs how often

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    The simplest way to determine recoil spring replacement is to measure the length of the spring when you clean the gun. Good quality springs like Wolff normally shorten about 1/2" as they break in (maybe 500 rds) then they stay about the same length for their useful life. If the recoil spring starts to shorten after achieving a stable length it is finished. So long as the length of the spring remains stable it will maintain the same force.

Progressive springs were designed to reduce unlocking force in compensated game guns (along with weak main springs). IMHO they have no place in a serious use gun.

Feedback Score
    So I got the Wolff spring kit for the Commander installed and went and shot about 50 rounds at the indoor range last Friday.

First, my old springs were definitely in need of replacement. The gun had an unknown number of rounds through it before it was given to me. The old recoil spring was about 1/2" - 3/4" shorter then the new one and much softer. The old main hammer spring was shorter also. That was a pain to get back in. I did have a parts launch across the room when trying to replace it. The new springs definitely stiffened everything up. Now the safety is a little tight for me. I may just have to work it some. It requires much more pressure to engage and release.

At the range the gun shot much better the before. I think even the trigger pull was better. It was less jerky and I was able to maintain a tighter group better then before.

I am glad that I stumbled across this thread or I would have never thought to do this maintenance.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    The easiest way I have found to replace the main spring is to clamp the main spring housing in a vice top end up with some protection like file folder cardboard or an old leather belt. Use a small Phillips screwdriver to push the plunger down then push the retaining pin out with a small punch or paper clip.

Reverse the procedure to reinstall. WEAR SAFETY GLASSES.

Unless you replaced the safety plunger spring, replacing the main spring should have no effect on the safety if it is fitted properly. This is something you might want to check out.
    Last edited by DBR; 02-01-10 at 23:42.

Feedback Score
    I replaced all the springs. So yes I did replace the safety plunger spring.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Burton View Post
    Assuming the 1911 is chambered in 45ACP I would recommend changing the recoil spring every 2000-2500 rounds in Government and Commander Models. This may be sooner than what is actually needed but fresh recoil springs are cheap insurance for pistol longevity.
    exactly.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234