Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Too much fun choosing!

Feedback Score

Too much fun choosing!

Choosing between 3 different setups...a http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin...ategory%3DBCOM, or a DD XV carbine either with or without the rail from AIM Surplus.

Both are local to me...AIM is closer.

I only plan on adding an Aimpoint C3, a sling and a flashlight (likely just the Surefire G2), so am not really sold on rails at all. Being old school, even having a set of round handguards is rockin to me.

Going to be using it for fun plinking, casual competition and of course, the coming zombie uprising.

My background is in the US Army and USAF as a Small Arms Marksmanship and Training Unit instructor and Base Weapon Inspector...been shooting competitively (primarily in handgun events) for more than 30 years from old school PPC to early IPSC to IDPA.

I've simply gotten recently to missing having an EBR in my hands.

Any thoughts?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    What do the warranties for both look like...? Is the BCM upper a lifetime warranty?

Scott
    Last edited by bvmbandit; 01-10-10 at 15:08.
    2 Chronicles 7:14

The Citadel, Charleston South Carolina 1842 - 1995 RIP

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    For me, the decision was to go with the BCM midlength and I am pleased with my purchase.
    "The sword is more important than the shield, and skill is more important than either. The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental." John Steinbeck

Feedback Score
    Both are great, top quality rifles. I would probably go with the BCM, mainly because of the middie configuration.
    Colt SP6920, LE6920, 6720
    BCM Lower/ARP 6.8SPC upper for hog hunting
    DD M4V5 clone, Troy 5.56 Carbine, S&W M&P10
    PSA Lower/BCM LW 16" middie CHF upper
    PSA Lower/BCM LW 14.5" middie upper
    2 PSA 18"6.8 rifles, PSA 20" M16A4 clone
    Remington 870, Remington 700VTR
    SA XDm9, XDm9C, , XD9SC S&W 1911
    Ruger GP100, Hawkeye77 Compact 6.8SPC
    Kel-Tec KSG, Marlin 336 30-30, HK 45C, VP9
    Sig 1911 Tacops, Scorpion 1911, M11A1, P226 Mk25

Feedback Score
    The question really comes down to which of the three I will go for...

I only plan on an Aimpoint C3, a sling and a light, so don't see a need for a rail system. any argument against that?

Secondly, I understand that the middie *may* last longer due to less strain on the gas system, but is that enough reason to go for a middie instead of the carbine?

Help me out guys..I have cash burning a hole in my pocket!

Last edited by Nasty; 01-10-10 at 17:53.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nasty View Post

I only plan on an Aimpoint C3, a sling and a light, so don't see a need for a rail system. any argument against that?

Secondly, I understand that the middie *may* last longer due to less strain on the gas system, but is that enough reason to go for a middie instead of the carbine?

NASTY!!!

Are you still in Biloxi?

Feedback Score
    Not in quite a long while...you may have me mixed up with some other fool.

Nice to meet ya though!

ps: If it helps, I used to be on a few gun forums, was a mod at Bladeforums for a good time, still am a mod at Knifeforums. Former US Army, then USAF after I learned to read (grin).

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

The mid-length would give you a longer handguard, but if you buy a rifle with a carbine-length system there are still lots of possibilities, as well, especially if you are planning on keeping the front sight base and installing a rail system such as the DD Lite 12.0 FSP or DD Omega X 12.0 FSP.

Personally, I don't think you can go wrong with either one. I love my XV carbine and haven't even installed rails on it, yet, despite the fact that I own a set of KAC RAS rails and DD Omega rails. But I would say that if you plan on never putting a rail system on the rifle, go with the mid-length - the extra space helps!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Not in quite a long while...you may have me mixed up with some other fool.

Nice to meet ya though!

ps: If it helps, I used to be on a few gun forums, was a mod at Bladeforums for a good time, still am a mod at Knifeforums. Former US Army, then USAF after I learned to read (grin).
    SS.com? no?

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Besides the mid-length gas system which gives smoother operation, the extra length on the handguards/rail really do help with getting your grip out there. That improves pointability and target transitions. I see no reason to go with a carbine length system unless you're going the SBR route. The weight difference is negligible and can be offset with proper balancing of the gun.

If you decide to go with the carbine setup, I'd at least look into the Magpul AFG. It helped me get my grip further forward on my 11.5" 6933.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast