View Poll Results: recce/SPR bipod choice

Voters
155. You may not vote on this poll
  • Tango Down Advanced Combat Bipod

15 9.68%
  • Harris Bipod Mount Combo (LaRue or ADM)

93 60.00%
  • VLTOR BI-Pod

5 3.23%
  • BOBRO Gen 3 BIPOD w/BLAC

23 14.84%
  • Other

19 12.26%
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Bipods - with poll

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I have the Tangodown bipod and absolutely love it. The height is perfect for the use of 30 round magazines. The thing is bombproof in its build quality and materials and there are no exposed springs, tabs, levers, and knobs, like the Harris has to snag on things.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    People are always going to vote for what they have, and with Harris being around for so long that's what people are more likely to have, hence the poll results.

The Larue mount for the Harris is freakin' $80 which is just insane to me. The ADM is nearly $70, which strikes me as equally nuts. and then ARMS at $100?

I have a Harris on an ARMS that I bought used from another shooter down here. Can't recall what I paid but it works for me.

I like the look of some of the other options on the market. $200-$240 for the Bobro/GG&G? I'd have to be really committed to needing a bipod at that price. I don't "get" the mechanism either and it seems (like most Bobro products) overly bulky to me. Maybe it offers some kind of bomb-proof construction?

Given all of the options, I'm still happy with my ARMS/Harris, despite the ARMS. I like that it's easy move around, works on almost any gun with little to no modification needed, etc. Based on my very limited exposure to it though, I think I'd like to give the Vltor a shot on a gun with a full rail system.

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    I have all of the listed bipods and a couple of additional models. The rock creek barrels SOPMOD bipod is very good for the money. They had a group buy on the hide for $125 which was an excellent bargain. The Atlas bipod is also very nice for precision rifles.

http://www.rockcreekbarrels.com/new_page_2.htm

http://www.accu-shot.com/atlas_bipod.html

I have to say the BoBro is my favorite overall, its very smooth to operate and stable. They are so damn hard to get though, thats the downside. I had mine on back order for nearly 6 months direct from Bobro.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    People are always going to vote for what they have, and with Harris being around for so long that's what people are more likely to have, hence the poll results.
    It's pretty cynical to paint people with such a broad brush so as to state that they will "always" vote for what they have. What would be the point of asking anybody for their opinion on anything, then?

All you can do is ask people for some opinions on their positive experiences. I don't have a requirement that every poster here (or everyone who votes in a simple poll) be 100% clinically detached; some first-hand knowledge is good enough for me.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    [QUOTE=rob_s;537284]

I like the look of some of the other options on the market. $200-$240 for the Bobro/GG&G? I'd have to be really committed to needing a bipod at that price. I don't "get" the mechanism either and it seems (like most Bobro products) overly bulky to me. Maybe it offers some kind of bomb-proof construction?
    I can tell you it is a little bulky, but I haven't seen a bipod/mount that wasn't, so to me its kinda a wash. I will say that the BOBRO in my limited experience is considerably more stable at extension and does appear to be bomb proof. I own a Harris/LT and I think it is definitely worth the variance in price between the two products.

As you would know, you have a bit of slop at extension with the Harris, the BOBRO seems to eliminate that drawback by its construction.

I think that it really depends on the level of precision you are looking for, as to whether the Harris would be fine, or if the BOBRO would be worth the extra investment... As always YMMV...

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Katar View Post
    It's pretty cynical to paint people with such a broad brush so as to state that they will "always" vote for what they have. What would be the point of asking anybody for their opinion on anything, then?

All you can do is ask people for some opinions on their positive experiences. I don't have a requirement that every poster here (or everyone who votes in a simple poll) be 100% clinically detached; some first-hand knowledge is good enough for me.
    Just because it's cynical doesn't mean it's not true.

Go take a look at any poll thread on this or any other forum, or any other "what should I get" thread. Remember that whole thread about an unqualified opinion? All the poll does is allow people to skew the results with absolutely zero qualifications. That's why "what should I get" threads have hundreds of one-sentence posts while "what should I get and tell me why" have fewer posts and "what should I get, tell me why, and tell me your experience with competing products" have almost none.

The more (relative to other products in the segment) a person spent on a product the worse it gets. The more they spent without any actual experience with the competing products the worse still it gets. It doesn't mean they are wrong, it doesn't mean that they bought a bad product, it just means that they will have an almost hysterical attachment to the product and are wholly unqualified to comment on how it compares to any other products.

The data isn't totally useless, as at least people can post that they are happy or unhappy with a product, but in terms of comparing products polls are pretty useless. Especially when you factor in the other part of my original post which is that the Harris probably outnumbers all other comers combined, and probably at a rate of 2:1 or even 3:1.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanm View Post
    I have all of the listed bipods and a couple of additional models. The rock creek barrels SOPMOD bipod is very good for the money. They had a group buy on the hide for $125 which was an excellent bargain. The Atlas bipod is also very nice for precision rifles.

http://www.rockcreekbarrels.com/new_page_2.htm

http://www.accu-shot.com/atlas_bipod.html

I have to say the BoBro is my favorite overall, its very smooth to operate and stable. They are so damn hard to get though, thats the downside. I had mine on back order for nearly 6 months direct from Bobro.
    EXCELLENT post! Do you mind elaborating on why you like the Bobro best? "smooth and stable" I get (even if it's a little subjective) but what, specifically, does it do that the others are lacking?

That Atlas does look nice. I'm not sure, however, if I understand how the legs deploy and are positioned.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    [QUOTE=rob_s;537284]
    I have the Harris but voted BOBRO Maybe not everybody falls into the category of "what I have is the best".... I was able to handle and use both, based upon that I voted with no bias... I am sure I am not the only one who is capable of the same...

I would agree that Harris owns the market so the poll results will show that.... As they say "ya don't know what ya don't know"... If you haven't handled a product that is superior to the one you own, you think you have the cats ...

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I really like the Harris Bipod Larue combo. I have a Harris HBRMS model on a LaRue mount and this combo has been rock solid over the years. I prefer the bench rest model because it allows me, if I need it, to have a lower profile and have the ability to get lower to shoot under barricades. I added a KMW Pod-Loc to it so I can rapidly adjust the swivel feature of the bipod.

The Rock Creek and Accu Shot bipods look like they might good ones to get my hands on to try.
    Last edited by GLOCKMASTER; 01-10-10 at 08:32.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    i have no bipod exp. however i was just disscussing bipods with a co-worker who is into precision rifles just showed me this.

http://www.commandarms.com/product.asp?pID=323&cID=20
    The 2nd Amendment : Washington didn't use his right to free speech to defeat the British, he shot them.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast