Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Cleaning the lens of my weapon light?

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

Cleaning the lens of my weapon light?

The lens on my Surefire X300 is getting so coated by carbon that it's output is drastically reduced. It protrudes a bit past the muzzle of my pistol so it gets pretty dirty every shoot but the carbon is accumulating more than I can wipe it off now. What are you all doing for a cleaning routine?

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Pencil eraser for cleaning.

Alot of people cover the lense with vaseline or similar items for range use. I use cheap plastic lense caps that came with toy lights my kids have.
    Last edited by Jerm; 01-30-11 at 13:24.

Feedback Score
    You can apply masking tape over the lens when training.

Slip 725 degreaser works well to clean it off.

Clean the lens after every shooting session.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    soap and water and a soft cloth...
    never push a wrench...

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I have started using a sharp pocket knife on mine and so far it has worked very well without scratching the lens. Plus I always have a knife with me.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    I clean my X300 lenses with Flitz, although any polish should work, and this leaves a clear coating that makes the residue come right off with a swipe of a rag or even your finger. Seems to last through at least a couple trips to the range if not more.

The buildup only seems to take a couple magazines to build up, I sure hope there is a better solution to this problem before I get in shootout longer than that in the dark!

Dennis.

Feedback Score
    cotton ball and rubbing alcohol.
    For God and the soldier we adore, In time of danger, not before! The danger passed, and all things righted, God is forgotten and the soldier slighted." - Rudyard Kipling

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    The quickest way I have found to clean my TLR-1 lens, is to disassemble it to the bare lens, and use a razor scraper, or use some Bar Keepers Friend, if you don't have a razor blade. No solvent that I have on hand, has ever effectively removed the carbon from a lens that has seen 500-1000 .45 rounds.

I quick way to prevent the build up, though, is to apply some gun grease, or silicone to the lens BEFORE shooting. Use the silicone if you are going to activate and utilize white light during night fire training, because it will be more transparent.
    Last edited by Jimbo45; 01-13-10 at 09:02.
    In Valor, there is Hope
    Master Firearms Instructor
    Patrol Carbine Instructor

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Soft cloth, 91% isopropyl rubing alcohol, pink #2 pencil eraser.

Feedback Score
    I have been shooting alot with my tlr and have found it kinda annoying to clean. I found this thread via google and it seems to be that the solution is to put something on the lens rather to make it easier to clean.

I did find:
    http://www.amazon.com/White-Sound-De.../dp/B004JWQ3PQ

But I didn't find any reviews. (Aside from the one on the manufacture's site) Does anyone know of any other reviews or any oils/cleaners made for lights specifically?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast