Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cleaning the lens of my weapon light?

Feedback Score
    I haven't tried the pencil eraser yet, but I will be soon. I just use sunglass lens cleaner and a soft cloth. The problem with this is that it does not remove all of the fouling.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I found a green scotch-brite type pad worked well, and didn't scratch the lens on my TLR1. I've been told CLR works pretty well also.

It might just be me, but it seems easier to clean the lens on an X300 than a TLR1. Anyone else have that experience?

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Some of you must have much better alcohol and glass cleaners than I do. I scubbed with everything from 90% rubbing alchohol, to several different gun cleaners, CLP, and lense/glass cleaners with no luck at all...

The build-up on my X300 appeared untouched until I tried the pencil eraser.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    There's some good tips here. I was wondering to myself how best to clean the lense of my weapon mounted light without scratching it.

I shot my AR a few months ago with the light attached, after an afternoon of shooting rifle I tried to use the light in the evening and at close range it was fine, but it had turned into more of an area light because of the crud on the lense. It wasn't until I got home that I realized it was covered in powder residue. Rather than worrying about how to clean it in the future I think I'm going to try to re-position the light so that it doesn't get frosted in the first place.
    Last edited by MustangGreg66; 02-21-11 at 14:56.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Guys, try toothpaste as a polish, applied with a Q-Tip. Better than every method I've seen listed here.
    Last edited by Littlelebowski; 02-21-11 at 16:39.

Feedback Score
    This just came up in last months swat magazine. This is for a clean lens to prevent rhe buildup. They recommended applying some sort of clear lip balm to the lens so that the carbon sticks to that rather than the lens. After shooting wipe off the lens reapply balm. Never tried it but it seems like it might work.

Feedback Score
    Never tried the Winchester Win Clean line of ammunitions, but it is purported to shoot "clean" for practice shooting. I wonder if using that particular ammo "lessens" the carbon buildup on the window of the SF.X300(?)

I simply clean mine with an almost dry Rem Oil Wipe then use a lens wipe. It works for me.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    The only method I use anymore is a WD-40 pen from Wal-Mart. It cleans the lens very easily and leaves a thin film which then makes it even easier the next time. I wish I could take credit for it but learned it from Pat and Mike at an EAG tactical class I took. It is the best option I've used and I've tried most.
    "The peace we have within us is most often expressed in how we treat others"

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by tactical221 View Post
    This just came up in last months swat magazine. This is for a clean lens to prevent rhe buildup. They recommended applying some sort of clear lip balm to the lens so that the carbon sticks to that rather than the lens. After shooting wipe off the lens reapply balm. Never tried it but it seems like it might work.
    See post #8. Guys, its easy, just put something oily on the lens before a day of training. Then it will wipe off fairly easy. Yeah, if its bone dry, and you fire hundreds of rounds out of your pistol, your tac light will be difficult to clean, no matter what method you prefer. The key is, preventing the burnt powder from sticking.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Oscar 319 View Post
    You can apply masking tape over the lens when training.

Slip 725 degreaser works well to clean it off.

Clean the lens after every shooting session.
    As already mentioned, preventive measures (light coat of lube, vasaline, lip balm) aid in cleaning afterwards, it works.
    Last edited by RogerinTPA; 02-22-11 at 22:21.
    For God and the soldier we adore, In time of danger, not before! The danger passed, and all things righted, God is forgotten and the soldier slighted." - Rudyard Kipling

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast