Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Consolidating Handgun Platform

Feedback Score

Consolidating Handgun Platform

What would everyone’s thought be regarding a platform to consolidate to?? Here is what I would like to do;

1.) Keep with 9mm (I am comfortable with it as a defensive round given the quality of ammo, my wife shoots it better that .40 and .45, follow up shots and round capacity and cost to practice is more important than an ever so slightly bigger hole. Plus I have thousands of rounds of 9mm already.)

2.) Adopt a platform that we (wife and I) can consolidate to (i.e. full size, compact, subcompact models) same manual of arms for training etc.

3.) High quality, durable, reliable, accurate etc….

My wife and I really like the M&P line. We both shoot it well, and find it to be pretty ergonomics etc. However, she isn’t real big, and she won’t carry consistently unless she has an ultra concealable weapon (think Khar pm9 size range). M&P9c seems to be a bit too wide.

A friend of mine suggested a few weeks ago that we consider the Walther line; Walther p99 / Walther p99c / Walther pps.

I haven’t ever heard anything negative about them… but I haven’t shot one. I’ll have to try and rent one at the local range.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I recently consolidated to Glock 9mm's after years of owning 15+ handguns at a time. I hated parting with all of my fancy 1911's, HK's and Sigs; however, I made some cash for ammo and my shooting and weapon manipulation has improved immensely. I can't tell you which platform to go with, as that is extremely personal, but I definitely suggest training with one weapon system.
    I owned the Walther P99 and had very little complaints. Just wasn't for me (mag release and ejected casings at 6:00)

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    "A friend of mine suggested a few weeks ago that we consider the Walther line; Walther p99 / Walther p99c / Walther pps."

The P99 and the PPS are two different platforms. If choosing between the P99 and the M&P, I'd go with the M&P.

In an ideal world, I agree with your logic. Unfortunately we do not live in an ideal world. Your wife's small size poses issues. What you could effectively conceal and what your wife could may not be the same. Add to the mix the difference in men's and women's fashions and dress, chunky guns may not be realistic carry guns for your wife, due to her build.

But remember, going too small poses issues as it relates to difficulty in effectively shooting the gun. Putting rounds on target is, after all, the sole purpose of the defensive firearm.

I have carried the M&P fs for 5 years, and own a personal M&P9c. Both are excellent guns, but I agree the compact is chunky.

In you situation, I would consolidate on caliber. Maybe on action type, but not so much on the actual gun. I agree 9mm would be a good choice for your situation.

I would look at the M&P line for your needs, and for the home. If your wife is seriously considering carrying a pistol (and if she is, good for her), I would have her look at and handle the Walther PPS 9mm. Have her handle one at the same time she is handling the M&P9c.

Another option for her would be something in the Kahr line, such as the P9. The PM9 may be too small.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Arrow

I went through this exercise not too long ago.

I have pared down my colleciton to S&W M&P/9's, and Glock 17's, with mags and parts for both.

I just have a few "oddballs" now, including an HK45, a 1911 or two and a few .22 LR pistols.

I know, I'm boring.
    Doing my part to keep malls safe

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    What kind of post- sale support do you see for Walther? Have you looked around the local gun shops and compared online prices for support items? M&P or Glock will be easier/cheaper/better.

B_C

Feedback Score
    It's not a bad theory but IMO it breaks down if you carry it too far. And I think the Walther scenario is too far personally.

Pick yer Glock or M&P poison for the "core" and then fill in the pocket gun niche with the jframe would make most sense to me. The little wheelie doesn't require quite the "logistics" train of a semiauto.
    "Whatever it's for; it wasn't possible until now!!!" - KrampusArms

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    I did exactly this. I chose the glock 9mm platform since it has the longest track record, seems to be the standard for accessories/holster designs, and is the most widely supported both here and abroad. I sold everything else and kept one ultra concealable model that operates just like the glock (PM9). To get to this happy hunting ground, I sold 1911's, sigs, HK ect... I am much happier now and my training is more focused. When you are thinking glock vs M&P, think aftermarket support. I dont know what the .22 conversion kit situation is for the M&P, but for the glock the advantage arms kit allows inexpensive practice.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Beat Trash View Post
    "A friend of mine suggested a few weeks ago that we consider the Walther line; Walther p99 / Walther p99c / Walther pps."

The P99 and the PPS are two different platforms. If choosing between the P99 and the M&P, I'd go with the M&P.
    How different are the P99 and PPS? Same action correct?

What do like about the M&P over the P99?

In you situation, I would consolidate on caliber. Maybe on action type, but not so much on the actual gun. I agree 9mm would be a good choice for your situation.
    We are just about completely consolidated to 9mm at this point. All .45's are gone. I still have a 3rd gen S&W in .40 and a few hundred rounds that I will keep because I like it so. We have a GP 100 also that isn't going anywhere. Otherwise, everything is else is 9mm. I'm down to two cz P-01's and a sig.

I would look at the M&P line for your needs, and for the home.
    Currently a top contender.

If your wife is seriously considering carrying a pistol (and if she is, good for her), I would have her look at and handle the Walther PPS 9mm. Have her handle one at the same time she is handling the M&P9c.
    She is currently carrying now and has for a couple years or so. Issue is, she only carries in the winter... and that drives me nuts. However, I understand, she doesn't want to open carry (nor should she) and the CZ she carries in the winter is not suitable for the summer. That coupled with a few other things got me wanting to hit the reset button and consolidate platforms as much as possible.

Goals was;

- My wife and I using the same basics platform for manual of arms / training purposes

- Same ammo

- Mag compatibility would be great...

Quote Originally Posted by Business_Casual View Post
    What kind of post- sale support do you see for Walther? Have you looked around the local gun shops and compared online prices for support items? M&P or Glock will be easier/cheaper/better.

B_C
    I started looking at the walther just a few weeks ago. PPS is fairly common, but nothing like Glock or M&P. P99 is pretty sparse, unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    It's not a bad theory but IMO it breaks down if you carry it too far. And I think the Walther scenario is too far personally.

Pick yer Glock or M&P poison for the "core" and then fill in the pocket gun niche with the jframe would make most sense to me. The little wheelie doesn't require quite the "logistics" train of a semiauto.
    We have entertained that as well... even looked at several 9mm revolvers to keep ammo commonality.

Quote Originally Posted by jasonhgross View Post
    I sold everything else and kept one ultra concealable model that operates just like the glock (PM9).
    We actually thought we had settled on this at one point.. but the reviews on Kahr in general, but particularly the PM9 seem to be really hit and miss. I hear the abrupt feed ramp leads to a lot of FTF issues?

Nevertheless, the PM9 is in the size range she is looking at for summer carry, as is the PPS etc.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Cazwell View Post
    Currently a top contender.

Goals was;

- My wife and I using the same basics platform for manual of arms / training purposes

- Same ammo

- Mag compatibility would be great...

I started looking at the walther just a few weeks ago. PPS is fairly common, but nothing like Glock or M&P. P99 is pretty sparse, unfortunately.

We have entertained that as well... even looked at several 9mm revolvers to keep ammo commonality.

We actually thought we had settled on this at one point.. but the reviews on Kahr in general, but particularly the PM9 seem to be really hit and miss. I hear the abrupt feed ramp leads to a lot of FTF issues?

Nevertheless, the PM9 is in the size range she is looking at for summer carry, as is the PPS etc.
    If you're considering the PPS for her you should maybe consider the Kahr P9, which is slightly shorter in length than the PPS and about the same width and height. The P9 might be less problematical in terms of reliability than the PM9, though lots of folks do like their PM9s. The P9 would probably be more pleasant for your wife to shoot than the PM9 because of the half inch longer grip, half inch longer slide, and slightly greater weight than the PM9.

You could consider the Kahr K9 or T9 for you as an IWB gun. The K9 (3.5" barrel)and T9 (4" barrel)are all-stainless steel and have a pretty good rep for reliability and durability. K9 and P9 use the same 7 rd mags and can also use the longer 8 rd mag from the T9.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    i have a glock 19 and a glock 26. those are my only centerfire handguns. they've been mostly everywhere with me, including some places folks maybe would prefer i didn't have a handgun
    if you can't conceal a 26, you're just not trying hard enough.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast