Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: CZ PO7 Duty

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)

CZ PO7 Duty

Well I searched though the old threads and didn't see much on CZ's new PO7. I picked one up yesterday and quickly converted the decocker to the safety with a little trouble since the owners manual is lacking at best. I was surprised by the size since to me it seems to look bigger in pictures but it is very similar to a Glock 19 size. The slide is typical CZ where the rail run inside the frame. Some complain about this by not being able to grasp the slide. I think CZ tried to address this with the deeper and thicker cocking serrations. The slide and barrel appear to be coated with something that is much different than the standard polycoating. The barrel on this is a nice uniform color unlike the grey barrels of other CZ's I've owned. If it is parkerized, they did a good job.

I put about 350 rounds through it this morning. Temps at the range were in the low teens and I was just blasting away. The PO7 seems stiff and the recoil spring seems stronger than the 75B semi compact I have. The pistol fits my hand well but does not feel anything like a CZ. No need for grip tape on the front strap of this thing. I shot it reasonably accurate for me and the recoil is very light. I went through some nato ball ammo, gold dots and some old Federal classic I had in the ammo can. The single action trigger is nice and I would compare it to my LEM P2000 at the end of the draw stroke but a bit lighter. I had two stoppages in the 350 rounds. Spent casings didn't fully eject from the slide and got caught up with the fresh round stripping off the mag. I blame that stoppages on my gloves/grip though because my fingers were numb by the time I got the stoppages.

I give it a thumbs up for low cost ($414 shipped from Buds) and am on the hunt for metal night sights. Obligitory picture attached, David

Feedback Score

I like it!

My buddy at the local gun range just purchased one of these. The first time I saw it I thought, "What a good looking pistol. Who makes that?" When he told me that it was manufactured by CZ, I was impressed. Aesthetically, I think it is a good looking pistol in comparison to their previous offerings. I'm well aware of the reliability and fine reputation of CZ. I've had the opportunity to shoot the CZ75 models and they are very comfortable to shoot. This newer model is something I'd like to give a try sometime. The grip appears to be a departure from it's typical design but with my medium size hands, it felt really good. Hopefully, I'll be able to give it a run the next time I'm at the range.
    "Most standards are set low to accomodate the bottom feeders of life who lack the personal pride, motivation and determination to rise above the rest." - Paul Howe

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Nice review, nice looking shot of the pistol.

I have an instinctive negative reaction to CZs for some reason. I don't know why but I have always thought they weren't as robust or reliable as other makes. I've always classed them with Rugers and Baby Eagles.

Am I so far off base? Has there been an exhaustive evaluation of the CZ by agencies here? How is the durability, parts and holster availability? What about the magazines - cost, etc? Seems very affordable as well.

Maybe I can overcome my superstition, because I realize all my objection to them (CZs) is irrational. Any chance you'll do the 2,000 round challenge with it?

Should I be more open minded? I did enjoy Prague when I was there.

M_P

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by modern_pirate View Post
    Nice review, nice looking shot of the pistol.

I have an instinctive negative reaction to CZs for some reason. I don't know why but I have always thought they weren't as robust or reliable as other makes. I've always classed them with Rugers and Baby Eagles.

Am I so far off base? Has there been an exhaustive evaluation of the CZ by agencies here? How is the durability, parts and holster availability? What about the magazines - cost, etc? Seems very affordable as well.

Maybe I can overcome my superstition, because I realize all my objection to them (CZs) is irrational. Any chance you'll do the 2,000 round challenge with it?

Should I be more open minded? I did enjoy Prague when I was there.

M_P

I have put over 2000 rnds through my 75D compact PCR over the last year with no stoppages, usually around 200 rnds between cleanings.

Then there is also their P0-1 which has passed the nato trial/testing.

Feedback Score
    I have no experience with this gun, but I shot the snot out of my P01 and had zero malfs. Maybe 2000 rds in under a year prior to losing it to a thief.

Feedback Score
    I've had mixed experiences with CZ pistols. I've owned a 75b, SP-01, P-01, and a 97b(.45acp).

The classic 75b was the best of the bunch(I hope to get another one in stainless someday). The P-01 had a nasty trigger slap even after two trips back to CZ. The SP-01 was okay, but I had to have a gun smith smooth out the trigger because it stayed gritty even after 2k rounds. The 97b was a nighmare. Even after a ramp job to get it to even feed hollow points, the magazine catch was so weak that it would occasionally pop out a magazine when shooting.

As for the NATO trials, the contract demanded such a cheap price for any adopted pistols that only a few manufacturers even submitted pistols for testing. Glock, Sig, and H&K didn't even participate as they saw a profit loss for their current line-ups.

Hopefully CZ got the P-07 right.
    Last edited by Marcus L.; 01-10-10 at 20:23.
    America is NOT a Democracy......nor should we ever want it to be:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DioQooFIcgE

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    I've had Marcus' experience with CZ's. The CZ was made as a 9mm and in my opinion they operate best in that caliber. I have had a 40 compact that was picky about ammo at best and the trigger slap was worse than any WASR 10. I will say I've had a few full size 75's and an 85B and never had a problem with them. As for CZ durability, I would guess they are probably in the same league as the High Power. The two best things about the CZ were they use to be rather affordable and most people could shoot them reasonable accurately. They seem to be going up in price the past few years.

Modern-pirate if you want to go shoot sometime let me know. Maybe I'll save up for another case of 9mm and start the test. David

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dwhitehorne View Post
    ...The two best things about the CZ were they use to be rather affordable and most people could shoot them reasonable accurately. They seem to be going up in price the past few years.
    Back in the early '80s, I remember when I use to recommend the original CZ75 to my friends because they were accurate, reliable and inexpensive. Back then they sold for $475 CAD brand new.
    "Most standards are set low to accomodate the bottom feeders of life who lack the personal pride, motivation and determination to rise above the rest." - Paul Howe

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mojo58 View Post
    Back in the early '80s, I remember when I use to recommend the original CZ75 to my friends because they were accurate, reliable and inexpensive. Back then they sold for $475 CAD brand new.
    And just look, at $498 for a 75B at Bud's, they've only gone up $23!

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...ducts_id/13655

Feedback Score
    Maximus83, I envy you Americans that get such reasonable prices on their firearms.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast