Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: VLTOR VS-1 Volks Suppressor - $300?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by threeheadeddog View Post
    No offense to the people who see both the value and utility of a high end can, but objecting to this is like objecting to a basic bolt-action rifle. It may not be a SASS but honestly most people dont buy the SASS because they dont CARE. Your average joe doesn't see the value or utility in a can that can be shot full-auto or is "hearing safe" because your average joe is using a rimington 700 in 30-06 10-50rds a year, and doesnt know what "hearing safe" even means. He just knows... loud friggin gun, and not as loud of a gun. In states like South Dakota where you can hunt with a suppressor I could see a HUGE number of people buying these. I personally have gotten many in my family interested in suppressors only to immediatly see them deflate when I say what it would cost to get their guns equipped. Usually the next thing out of their mouth is "well maby if the .22 ones are as cheap as you say".

Again trying to base others needs or desires off the percieved needs and desires of a dedicated hobbiest is just not pracital. For one last annalogy that is like the local car nuts thinking my wife, or me for that matter, needs some flashy performance vehicle when all we use a cars for are commuting and honestly prefer to place our money elsewhere.
    Agree 100%.

Furthermore, even if you bought a $1k+ can & honstly look down on the buyer of a $300 can, please keep it to yourself.

Why?

Because, at $300, we, the gun owning community, stand to add MANY more supressor owners/shooters to our ranks.

So?

Fact is, the community of Title II firearm owners is so small that we are politically insignificant - even to the NRA. We don't matter. At all. Sad - but that is the ploitical reality we find ourselves in. We could disappear tomorrow and the rest of the gun owning community would not blink an eye.

In fact, many gun owners are frankly not comfortable with our existance - as shown by the many negative responses we all read about over and over from "guys at the gun range" or range officers who call the local police the 1st time they see a supressor in use.

Imagine if every gun owner out there was familiar enough with supressors that they understood they are lawful to own?

Imagine if they also understood that we, the Title II owning community, had ALL gone through background checks and were under far more strenuous registration requirements than most guns owners, and our guns were almost vever involved in crimes? Maybe they would even want to own one lawfully.

I am only seeing the positive here. Interested in more info.

Is it indeed a reflex design? How'd they do that for under $300? Mono-core from a steel casting maybe?
    Last edited by TY44934; 01-22-10 at 08:17.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I don't think Title II firearms owners are ignored; why do you think the NFA registry was left alone under Clinton in the 90s? Guys who can buy transferable machine guns tend to have some coin. I know some extremely wealthy NFA collectors.

Anyway, kudos to Vltor for moving forward on this. The mark-up on suppressors is very high, due to the limited size of the market. This may change that now that NFA is becoming more widely known and understood.

Feedback Score
    I read on SilencerTalk the pictured gun was a 12.5" I'll reserve judgement on this concept till they hit the street. I'm sure Titsworth will check it out!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Falboy View Post
    I read on SilencerTalk the pictured gun was a 12.5" I'll reserve judgement on this concept till they hit the street. I'm sure Titsworth will check it out!
    I guess the real question though is how far does it sleeve back over the barrel... I wonder if they will make a shorter collar (~1") or if that wouldn't provide the same consistency as far as concentric alignment.

I've only got about 1" to work with outside the rails on my SBR.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by bkb0000 View Post
    if they're producing it for significantly less than $300, all they need is the little corner where broke guys who just want the coolness of having a suppressor live.
    like me!

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by scottryan View Post
    Sound reduction is not the most important factor when choosing a suppressor.
    I believe that is a subjective criteria, and certainly varies from person to person. Since I'm buying a suppressor, I'd rate suppressive ability pretty high on the list, as I don't want to buy a loud suppressor, if I can help it.

I won't get too wrapped up in a 1dB difference, but that's really a rarity except when comparing the best cans to one another.

I'd rate suppression, weight, length, durability and mount as co-equal front runners, and I look for the best value across the five.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVAN View Post
    I'd rate suppression, weight, length, durability and mount as co-equal front runners, and I look for the best value across the five.
    Mind sending me a PM or post here as to what you think the best value is? I've been thinking about a suppressor for a long time but always manage to get bogged down in what's what, and the who is mad at who drama always clouds the online data.

Feedback Score
    Most people buy suppressors to look cool.

Looking cool on the cheap is awesome.

I see a market for this suppressor.

Personally, I would not drop $1000+ dollars on a suppressor whose only action will be killing jack rabbits and paper.

When I get deployed, if the army feels fit to give me some uber ninja approved suppressor on their dime, I'll take it.
    Kein Mitleid Für Die Mehrheit
    What Happened to the American dream? It came true. You're looking at it.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by variablebinary View Post
    Most people buy suppressors to look cool.
    So what, you're saying that it doesn't work?

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)
    I have to say that to those of you who are opposed to a $300 suppressor then don't buy it...but as I am a poor college student I could probably get together the money for a $300 dollar suppressor long before I could justify a $1000 suppressor. especially due to that fact I first have to get a new upper to replace a mistake I got years ago in a 14.5 with a perm flash hider.
    -They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security- Benjamin Franklin

-Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward. Whoever cannot take care of himself without that law is both. For a wounded man shall say to his assailant, "If I Live, I will kill you. If I Die, You are forgiven." Such is the Rule of Honor.- Lamb of God- Omerta

ابن بيت وأنا كافر

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast