Thread: Oly Arms .45 Upper

Feedback Score

Oly Arms .45 Upper

Looking at building up a .45 upper. Does anyone know if a hammer change is necessary when running a .45 Oly Arms upper (its 130 am and they are closed) and any info on optimal barrel length would be appreciated. HD loads will be Speer Gold Dot 230gr. Anyone's experience/ input please.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by YCPDK9 View Post
    Looking at building up a .45 upper. Does anyone know if a hammer change is necessary when running a .45 Oly Arms upper (its 130 am and they are closed) and any info on optimal barrel length would be appreciated. HD loads will be Speer Gold Dot 230gr. Anyone's experience/ input please.
    My boss owns one, and I've worked on it before. IIRC it uses a standard AR hammer. I'll double check to be sure. He SBR'd his and had it cut to 10.5" and has a .458 SOCOM Vortex flash hider on it.
    Chief Armorer for Elite Shooting Sports in Manassas VA
    Chief Armorer for Corp Arms (FFL 07-08/SOT 02)

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    He's using a McCormick notched match AR trigger in his .45 and it works 100%
    Chief Armorer for Elite Shooting Sports in Manassas VA
    Chief Armorer for Corp Arms (FFL 07-08/SOT 02)

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the help.

Feedback Score
    The factory barrels can be had in 6.5", 11.5" w/ 5.5" FS, and 16". The regular AR15 hammer works fine.

I haven't checked the difference if any in accuracy between the 11.5/5.5" barrel and the 16" barrel. I personally like the 11.5/5.5" barrel just for the cool factor and if I decide to SBR it, won't be much trouble to cut the FS off.