Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How easy is it to cross thread the pistol grip screw?

Feedback Score

How easy is it to cross thread the pistol grip screw?

While puting together my lower receiver build from hell, I ran into yet another problem. While installing my MIAD grip, with screw provided from Magpul, into my Spikes Tactical lower, I was only able to get it a few turns in before it stopped completely.

Upon removing the grip screw, it appears that there is some cross threading in the hole for the grip screw on the lower receiver. I'm not sure if it was like that before or if I did it. I was not torquing hard on the screwdriver during installation. I have installed and removed pistol grips dozens of times without a single problem until now. Now I have 2 questions.

1. Is it possible that I damaged the lower receiver by cross threading the screw?

2. What do I do now to fix the problem so I dont have an expensive paperweight laying around my house?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I did this once. Almost exactly the same issue as you, with a Magpul screw as well (they put too much loctite on IMHO, and now I strip it off all new screws I get from them).

what I did was buy a tap in the right thread size (have to check at home what that is, don't have the tap or the documentation in front of me) and chased the threads with that. You're not cutting new threads, just cleaning up the old ones. Worked great.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    i had the same experience as Rob, it cleaned the threads back up and I used another screw and it worked fine

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    the threads are 1/4x28,,guess how i know------

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I had the same problem with the screw from my MOE, I made absolutely sure it wasn't cross threading, but it was a bear to get all the way in.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    It isn't all that uncommon to cross thread the grip screw in the receiver, considering the balancing act going on trying to line it up inside the grip, and the fact that the steel screw will cut new threads in the aluminum fairly easily.

I once fixed an upper that was terribly cross threaded. I had to drill the hole larger, re-thread it with a larger tap, and use the appropriate screw with a star washer. I can't recall if I had to drill the hole in the grip larger to accommodate the screw or not. The last time I saw the owner I asked him how it held up. He said is was still rock solid.

The point is, it isn't that difficult to fix even if the threads are stripped beyond repair.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by the_fallguy View Post
    I once fixed an upper that was terribly cross threaded. I had to drill the hole larger, re-thread it with a larger tap, and use the appropriate screw with a star washer.
    Shoulda just used a heli-coil.

Feedback Score
    Had similar problems with all the Spike's Tactical lowers I did custom builds on. Every single one.
    Disclaimer: I am the owner of Freakshow Mfg LLC.

Feedback Score
    I wish I had seen this 2 hours ago.

I just installed a MOE grip on a S&W lower and it was really really hard to do.

That is a lot of blue loctite, but I guess it will never come off....

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by cevtv View Post
    Shoulda just used a heli-coil.
    Didn't even know about them at the time. I would consider it now if I had to fix one again, but I'm still not sure I trust them that much. I read at least one account (I believe it was in this forum) of the heli-coil stripping out of a billet lower. My fix was low-tech, but it worked.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast