Page 13 of 111 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363 ... LastLast

Thread: Got Testosterone?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by FloridaWoodsman View Post
    Another possible cause of his hesitation is that it is a regulated item that is frequently subject to abuse.
    In this particular situation, unlikely, but not impossible. His T levels (which are poor for an un treated man) completely rule out any abuse on his end, but stranger things have happened. Docs are human being with their own set of pre existing positions and feelings on various topics, and (being human) can be resistant to changing those positions, regardless of the (often) growing evidence to the contrary.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by usmcvet View Post
    Brother. They are your records. Ask for them. I call and ask for my stuff when I want it. The results don't belong to your doc. They're yours. They should not give you a hard time about that. If they do I would get a new doc.
    I always recommend asking for copies of all blood work, and any doc who refuses is no doc I'd be willing to work with or recommend. My docs usually send me my results as a matter of course with their comments and recs.
    - Will

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by skydivr View Post
    Thanks for such a quick response. The hard part about discussing it with him is that the test results don't come back until AFTER my visit, which normally is every 90 days; by that time, the test results are dated. I need to go back thru this thread and look for and try to print some of the relevant articles (unless you have them all in one place somewhere?)...Since he wants to retest next month, I think this would be the time to try and pin him down with some supporting research and ask him why he's so hesitant. He's also an older doc, and it may just be he doesn't want to try anything else if he's getting close to retirement.

I talked to one of my coworkers whose had same issue (his daughter works for his doc, so he has full access to his records). He's doing Testim instead of A-gell; his number a year ago was 28 (Even I don't think mine has ever been that low); now a year later his is around 500; his doc considers 345 low - in his case the Testim worked apparently. One of my other co-workers husband's get's the shot; she says he's a LOT different than he was when he started...
    Docs are busy people, and they often don't have time to keep up with the latest on various topics. It's often the case that an open minded doc is brought up to speed on some topic by a patient who is active, interested, and researching a condition for which they are being treated. I don't expect any doc to be up to speed on all topics, as that's simply not possible, but I do expect them to be open to working with me on the issue, and by supplying them good reading info on a topic/area of concern they may have, helps them be better docs and you a better treated happy patient.

But, it's a working relationship, and like all relationships, professional or personal, the right fit can take some work and or is not always smooth.
    Last edited by WillBrink; 12-11-13 at 12:16.
    - Will

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by skydivr View Post
    Thanks for such a quick response. The hard part about discussing it with him is that the test results don't come back until AFTER my visit, which normally is every 90 days; by that time, the test results are dated. I need to go back thru this thread and look for and try to print some of the relevant articles (unless you have them all in one place somewhere?)...Since he wants to retest next month, I think this would be the time to try and pin him down with some supporting research and ask him why he's so hesitant. He's also an older doc, and it may just be he doesn't want to try anything else if he's getting close to retirement.

I talked to one of my coworkers whose had same issue (his daughter works for his doc, so he has full access to his records). He's doing Testim instead of A-gell; his number a year ago was 28 (Even I don't think mine has ever been that low); now a year later his is around 500; his doc considers 345 low - in his case the Testim worked apparently. One of my other co-workers husband's get's the shot; she says he's a LOT different than he was when he started...
    Skydivr, I would suggest you find a new doctor that uses a faster lab. I don't see how it can take 90 days for a lab to analyzie a blood draw and get the results to your doctor. My doc uses Quest Diagnostics and they give him the results the next week from when I have my blood drawn.

I also recomend you ask about switching to Testim. Andro-gel didn't do shit for me. It actually made feel worse and I was an emotional trainwreck. I had wild mood swings from rage to crying to suicidal ideation and it didn't do a damn bit to help increase my T levels.
    If you can't win a gun fight against a lightly-trained individual during broad daylight with 88 rounds of 30-06, I'm not sure you'd be able to do it with... any other firearm.
    -Fjallhrafn
    Ok, I've got an El Camino full of rampage here, so what's the plan?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by WillBrink View Post
    Congrats bro. Once over that hill, the "why did I make such a big deal over this?" sensation kicks in, but that too is normal. Remember, we are hard wired to resist "harming" ourselves for obvious reasons, and the higher intellectual parts of our brains can't always control our lower base hard wired parts of our hard wired survival instincts. I for one, hate having blood taken out in any form. I will do it, but it always makes me anxious. I use the "you don't have to like it, you just have to do it" approach to that one. Growing up in Brooklyn in NY in the 70s, the goal at all times was to keep the blood in your body, a sensation I have never fulling gotten past.
    Ever have an Arterio-blood gas done? I had to have that done when I had a real bad case of phnomea and after having experienced that having a regular blood draw don't bother me in the least...
    If you can't win a gun fight against a lightly-trained individual during broad daylight with 88 rounds of 30-06, I'm not sure you'd be able to do it with... any other firearm.
    -Fjallhrafn

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by usmcvet View Post
    Brother. They are your records. Ask for them. I call and ask for my stuff when I want it. The results don't belong to your doc. They're yours. They should not give you a hard time about that. If they do I would get a new doc.
    That's not what I meant. I get a copy of every test with his notes within a week. It's just that, those notes say "Let's continue to monitor and see you again in three months" vs. "Come over tomorrow afternoon and let's up your dosage/switch brands/come and get a shot"...I really think he's just an old dog that doesn't really want to learn any new tricks..

Quote Originally Posted by FloridaWoodsman View Post
    Another possible cause of his hesitation is that it is a regulated item that is frequently subject to abuse.
    In the last 2 months I've noticed I now have provide ID and sign something...it amazes me that it's harder to get this than cold pills that make meth...

Quote Originally Posted by Big A View Post
    Skydivr, I would suggest you find a new doctor that uses a faster lab. I don't see how it can take 90 days for a lab to analyzie a blood draw and get the results to your doctor. My doc uses Quest Diagnostics and they give him the results the next week from when I have my blood drawn.

I also recomend you ask about switching to Testim. Andro-gel didn't do shit for me. It actually made feel worse and I was an emotional trainwreck. I had wild mood swings from rage to crying to suicidal ideation and it didn't do a damn bit to help increase my T levels.
    Did Testim actually work with you? Did it give you the improvement that I need?
    "Those who do can't explain; those who don't can't understand"...

Feedback Score
    For about a year and a half, yes. Then it began to taper off so now I'm on a once a month booster shot. I can actually tell when I'm due for a shot because I start to feel the T wearing off. I'm supposed to get my shot Friday and I could already feel it wearing off last week. My numbers are really low and we're trying to get them where they need to be but the Testim wasn't enough by itself.

Hope you get this stuff figured out because it really sucks. I really didn't like the Andro-gel and much prefer the Testim.
    -Fjallhrafn

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    For about a year and a half, yes. Then it began to taper off so now I'm on a once a month booster shot. I can actually tell when I'm due for a shot because I start to feel the T wearing off. I'm supposed to get my shot Friday and I could already feel it wearing off last week. My numbers are really low and we're trying to get them where they need to be but the Testim wasn't enough by itself.

Hope you get this stuff figured out because it really sucks. I really didn't like the Andro-gel and much prefer the Testim.
    Booster shot? If the topical simply wont get your T levels up as high as needed (a common issue with topicals for some users) then why not just go the IM route? Topical + booster shots (If i'm reading correctly) don't make much sense at that point. IM is steady and predictable and in my view, still the preferred method.
    - Will

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by WillBrink View Post
    Booster shot? If the topical simply wont get your T levels up as high as needed (a common issue with topicals for some users) then why not just go the IM route? Topical + booster shots (If i'm reading correctly) don't make much sense at that point. IM is steady and predictable and in my view, still the preferred method.
    I'm not sure what you mean by IM, intra muscular? Can you expand on this please?

I'm guessing you mean a shot more than once a month?
    -Fjallhrafn

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I'm not sure what you mean by IM, intra muscular? Can you expand on this please?

I'm guessing you mean a shot more than once a month?
    Yes, smaller weekly shots that get levels you want that stay consistent. You'll find the topic covered in this thread and others FYI. Topical + shots makes little sense.
    - Will

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

Page 13 of 111 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363 ... LastLast