Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: RRA LAR

Feedback Score
    There was a thread on TOS claiming that the lawsuit was settled and that RRA was cleared to proceed.

I'll look for it...

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=62&t=324945

From the ArmaLite Industry Partner:

ArmaLite and RRA have reached a settlement of the lawsuit. RRA is adopting a different mark and ArmaLite is dismissing its complaint.

ArmaLite will make no other comment concerning the specifics of the case.
    “Fixed fortifications are monuments to man's stupidity,” George S. Patton, Jr.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Steel_Weasel View Post
    Anyone know the basis of Armalite's lawsuit ? It would seem strange that Armalite wouldn't sue Bushmaster when they made it but now want to nail RRA
    Shortly after the release of the BAR-10, Bushmaster & ArmaLite came to a 'gentleman's agreement' and the name was changed.

One would think that RRA should have had the foresight to anticipate a similar reaction to their LAR-10. IT took a federal suit to bring RRA around to ArmaLite's way of thinking.

As I understand things, there is bad blood between the Westroms and RRA, whose owners were once ArmaLite employees.

Feedback Score
    [QUOTE=persona non grata;51457]One would think that RRA should have had the foresight to anticipate a similar reaction to their LAR-10. IT took a federal suit to bring RRA around to ArmaLite's way of thinking. [QUOTE]

Lawyers being lawyers.

I don't see a patton/trademark infrengement by calling it LAR-10. Anymore than all the AR-15, HBAR-15, SAR-15 out there.

But I think if I was RRA, I would have named it RRA-10.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RWBlue View Post
    I don't see a [s]patton[/s]...patent/trademark infrengement by calling it LAR-10. Anymore than all the AR-15, HBAR-15, SAR-15 out there.
    Who holds the patent or trademark for AR-15?

I believe the answer is no one. If some entity does, they have long ago forgone their ability to protect that trademark.

Why?

For one, the TDP is in the hands of at least TWO manufacturers. How can you claim rights to something to which you have given the TDP to someone else to make the EXACT product??

Short answer: You can't defend it under thos conditions.

In summary, the AR-10 vs. AR-15 trademark comparison fails on so many levels that we should probably call them more different than alike.

Seeing as how RRA has changed the name, let's just say that apparently there was a compilation of evidence that would have probably won ArmaLite's case in court.

Anyone can disagree all they like, but the new product is called the LAR-8 and solves any trademarks violations that were previously present.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Is the RRA project on hold?
    Paul A. Hotaling
    Alias Training & Security Services, LLC
    Paul@aliastraining.com
    757-215-1959 (Mon-Fri 8AM-5PM)
    757-985-9586 (After Hours)
    www.aliastraining.com

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by VA_Dinger View Post
    No, they settled the matter out of court and RRA is calling their .308 AR the "LAR-8".

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by VA_Dinger View Post
    The only things holding them up now are design flaws and production delays.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVAN View Post
    In summary, the AR-10 vs. AR-15 trademark comparison fails on so many levels that we should probably call them more different than alike.

Seeing as how RRA has changed the name, let's just say that apparently there was a compilation of evidence that would have probably won ArmaLite's case in court.

Anyone can disagree all they like, but the new product is called the LAR-8 and solves any trademarks violations that were previously present.

Although I agree with the end conclusion is the end conclusion, it doesn't make sence.

You can not trademark a number (i.e. as Intel found out with their 486). So they are trademarking the "AR". Well that doesn't make sence because of the AR-15s. So they are arguing over the combination of letters and numbers. In that case the RRA-10 makes alot more sense than the LAR-8.

Oh well, stupid is as stupid does when it comes to legal minds.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RWBlue View Post
    Although I agree with the end conclusion is the end conclusion, it doesn't make sence.

You can not trademark a number (i.e. as Intel found out with their 486). So they are trademarking the "AR". Well that doesn't make sence because of the AR-15s. So they are arguing over the combination of letters and numbers. In that case the RRA-10 makes alot more sense than the LAR-8.

Oh well, stupid is as stupid does when it comes to legal minds.
    I don't wish to belabor this point, but "AR-10" is the trademark.

Not "AR" not "-", not "10", not "-10". Deconstructing the trademark for the purposes of analysis of what each part means is a fruitless pursuit. That's like saying you can't trademark the letter J, so anyone, including Jeep, can't use it as part of their trademark. Yikes.

The owners/founders of Rock River Arms are named Larson. What does "-10" mean to them? No idea.

To a company trying to stick to the ArmaLite heritage, it was ArmaLite/Fairchild's 10th prototype weapon. So you can see why it would mean something to ArmaLite, Inc.

So for RRA, the prefix LAR stands for Larson, and -8 stands for whatever they want it to....the combination LAR-8 stands for their new .308 AR.

<<shrugs>>

In real life, call it whatever you like. It doesn't make calling a Glock mag a "clip" correct, but I might know what you mean.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Correct me if I am wrong but weren't the owners/founders of RRA former Armalite employee's?
    Love you Pop. F*ck Cancer.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast