Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: RRA LAR

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by persona non grata View Post
    Shortly after the release of the BAR-10, Bushmaster & ArmaLite came to a 'gentleman's agreement' and the name was changed.

One would think that RRA should have had the foresight to anticipate a similar reaction to their LAR-10. IT took a federal suit to bring RRA around to ArmaLite's way of thinking.

As I understand things, there is bad blood between the Westroms and RRA, whose owners were once ArmaLite employees.
    Quote Originally Posted by Voodoochild View Post
    Correct me if I am wrong but weren't the owners/founders of RRA former Armalite employee's?
    See above.
    Last edited by persona non grata; 05-08-07 at 21:37. Reason: board code

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVAN View Post
    In real life, call it whatever you like.
    I think you have a point, they could call it "Charlene", if it works I would buy it.

Feedback Score
    Correct if I'm wrong but wasn't the AR originally created in .308? Weren't the problems with it worked out back in the fifties?

Or are the problems only related to specifics to this project, like the changes that were required to use FAL mags in this new rifle for example?
    Keep your powder dry.

M4Carbine required notice/disclaimer: I am a tactical marketing professional. PM for details.

Feedback Score
    Shot the other Busmaster 308 this weekend , I have two. It was this ones first time to the range. The 308 bolt is huge and drinks alot more oil than a 5.56, I think its longer than the DPMS and Armalite 308s, someone correct me If Im wrong. No major malfunctions the bolt didnt break or anything, sorry. It grouped well, the Eotech felt right at home on the 308. The funny thing is that these two Bushys were given to me by my uncle, so maybe its irony that has kept me from experiencing any problems.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bullets View Post
    Correct if I'm wrong but wasn't the AR originally created in .308? Weren't the problems with it worked out back in the fifties?

Or are the problems only related to specifics to this project, like the changes that were required to use FAL mags in this new rifle for example?
    I think that you hit it dead on with the second part.

My understanding is that RRA created the original design for the Bushmaster gun and sold/licensed it to BFI. As a result of design flaws and bad marketing decisions, the gun was a flop. Now RRA is attempting to re-work the design around the same mags, and repeating BFI's blunders. Along with a legacy of bolt breakage, the fact that they aren't offering no chrome lined barrels or S/S barrels is going to seriously limit their target market.

As an aside, I find it ironic that RRA and their [s]blowhard[/s] diehard fans are raving about the platform running on $5 mags, while even the RRA mod at TOS has admitted that a significant number of mags will not function in their new baby. Indeed, if cheap surplus FAL mags actually ran well in the gun, RRA would have no reason to manufacture their own mags.

Anyone wanna bet that RRA will not be selling their factory mags for $5 a copy?

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    At the recent Vickers/Hackathorn low light class, a student asked if there were any good AR10's on the market and the answer was no.

My question to you AR10 fans is this, what other 308 chambered battle rifle has a gas imp. system in it???

C4

Feedback Score
    While I would love to have a POF 308 or HK 417 or a SCAR 308 they are not easily aquired, or proven platforms. Im just reporting what I have experienced without giving an opinion on something I have not fired or even seen in person, like most people on the errornet. But if Larry says the FAL works, I will definetly try to get one,but I just bought two LMT uppers and lowers, BCGs charging handles, 30 mags , 2 ALOSTYR rails, 4 vertical grips, 1500 rnds of Tap ammunition,etc.... So give me a while to save up for my suppressors and then Ill try to get that FAL.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by C4IGrant View Post
    At the recent Vickers/Hackathorn low light class, a student asked if there were any good AR10's on the market and the answer was no.
    Any consensus in that group on what got the closest, or was the best candidate for a rework?

I've seen a couple of lists of things to do, and a couple of tweaked/project/concept guns that did well. The exception, not the rule, though.
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Skintop911 View Post
    Any consensus in that group on what got the closest, or was the best candidate for a rework?

I've seen a couple of lists of things to do, and a couple of tweaked/project/concept guns that did well. The exception, not the rule, though.

Really what it comes down to is, the weapon have a gas piston. If the answer is no, then forget about it. I would aggree with this.

Personally, I would just get an FAL or PTR-91 (if you cannot wait). If you can wait, the HK 417 should be a winner and so should the Masada and or Scar Heavy.

C4

Feedback Score
    Where to begin.......sigh..,
    So I have learned some interesting things about the two Bushmaster 308s I have by tinkering with them and time spent at the range. Im sure what I have to say will not be shocking to any of the helpful and knowledgable people here.

Okay having an "A2 16inch upper" the first rifles lower has a milspec carbine stock using the Slash buffer, the original rifle length buffer spring has to be trimmed down so the bolt can lock back on an empty mag.
    I tried using a carbine AR-10 spring but it had to be trimmed as well, to get the bolt to lock back.
    So I got that spring in there just right and everything worked when I shot the rifle, no malfunctions.
    This rifle has a 2000# seriel.

The upper on the second rifle is an A3 railed 16 inch, the lower is the standard rifle length skeleton stock.
    It shot great at the range no malfunctions.
    It has a 700# seriel.

So, I wanted to switch uppers, I put the A3 upper on the carbine stocked lower. I went to the range to shoot it.

Guess what happened, the first three rounds went okay, but then the bolt over rode the next round a little, but still managed to "bend" the round up into the chamber. Not all the way though.
    After clearing and reloading and trying again the same thing would happen. Okay so its gotta be the mag, I thought, everybody knows Fal mags can be trouble,lol.

Nope, changing mags didnt work, plus these mags worked flawless before.
    It was like the bolt was way higher than it should be,or the mag was to low.
    I couldnt figure that one out.

Okay so I gave up and switched back to the way the rifle was before,
    and it functioned flawlessly, with the same mags.

I think Bushmaster had to Piece these 308s together. The different uppers and lowers just dont mate right.

Im mad that the uppers and lowers dont interchange without malfunctions. This is the first Ive heard of this. But Im not too surprised.

The other thing I learned was that the magwells on these rifles will not seat the DSArms 30 round Fal mags neither metric or inch would fit both type versions they sell are curved. So I wouldnt think thet would fit in the Rock River.
    It would have to take a straight 30 rnd mag to fit in the Bushmaster or Rock River mag well.

I am NOT interested to see if Rock River can correct the problems I encountered.
    Ive also given up on modifying these Bushmaster rifles any more.
    Im over it.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123