Thread: How to identify bolt and carrier manufacturer?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score
    12 (100%)

How to identify bolt and carrier manufacturer?

I recently purchased a new bolt and bolt carrier from another person on the net which was represented as an LMT BCG. When I received it, I was curious as to how I could verify its actual manufacturer. Seems to me that there must be a way otherwise we would hear about significant fraud when it comes to the sale of cheap bolts trumped up and sold for more than should be charged..

That said, I don't think there is any foul play here as the bolt is stamped MP and AJ, extractor has the black insert, spring, and crane o-ring, the inside is chrome lined, and the gas key is staked properly.

I'm sure there is a way but was curious how I can go about identifying that the goods are indeed authentic.

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    I have seen similar marking on LMT bolts before. As for the carrier, very few are actually marked.

Quote Originally Posted by mattmcg View Post
    I recently purchased a new bolt and bolt carrier from another person on the net which was represented as an LMT BCG. When I received it, I was curious as to how I could verify its actual manufacturer. Seems to me that there must be a way otherwise we would hear about significant fraud when it comes to the sale of cheap bolts trumped up and sold for more than should be charged..

That said, I don't think there is any foul play here as the bolt is stamped MP and AJ, extractor has the black insert, spring, and crane o-ring, the inside is chrome lined, and the gas key is staked properly.

I'm sure there is a way but was curious how I can go about identifying that the goods are indeed authentic.

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Feedback Score
    Yeap I'd also say its a LMT bolt.I have a AJ lot code marked bolt I got direct from LMT last summer,so its a recent lot#.Another indicator to help I.D. a LMT bolt is that they have the releived lug roots at the rear base of the lugs which resembles a recessed ring around the bolt in that area.That is a LMT patented design and I have not seen any other bolts with it..
    Like IG said,the carriers are hard to eye ball but LMT's gas key screws are a bit different than what is used by the other manufacturers.Pictures of both examples can be found on this site.
    To further add,the carrier that came with your AJ bolt will more than likely have a MIM gas key as mine did,which can be identified by a small ring on the top of the gas key between the screws and the gas key bore will not be chrome lined.
    Otherwise I would not have any doubts and run it with confidence.
    HTH
    Last edited by Blankwaffe; 01-30-10 at 19:55. Reason: ETA
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Armed Protective Services II

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Thank IG and BW. I can confirm the bolt has the patented circular bolt relief on the rear of the bolt lugs. I guess that makes it an LMT..... As for the carrier, I happened to buy this because it is a non-MIM gas key and was made before they switched over. Not sure if the non-MIM is an issue or not, but I'll let others answer that question in due time.

Thanks for the help fellas.