Thread: Low self-discharge NiMH batteries

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Low self-discharge NiMH batteries

My frustration with NiMH rechargeable batteries had gotten to the point where I had gone back to alkalines on things like my GPS, flashlights, cameras, etc. The problem was that I used them so infrequently that when I did need them they were dead or close to it.

I was looking around for a solution that I could keep NiMH batteries trickle-charged so they would be ready in case of a power outage or just an outing with the camera or GPS. My other thought was to have something that I could charge with a portable solar array while in the field.

I discovered that there was a product developed by Sanyo called the Eneroop battery which solved the issue. They guarantee that the battery will not self discharge more than 35% in a year. Some of the standard NiMH batteries I have been using seem to discharge about 50% in a month and are dead shortly after that. These newer NiMH batteries come out of the package nearly fully charged and are being made by other manufacturers now.

There was a guy on one of the flashlight forums that tested a set. He was able to see 40 minutes of runtime on a fully charged set and 36 minutes after letting them sit for a year. Pretty impressive so I picked up a couple sets and a charger to give them a try.

Has anyone else had experience with these?
    "The sword is more important than the shield, and skill is more important than either. The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental." John Steinbeck

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Yup, these are a great new technology. Cheaper than Lithium-ion without the associated risks. They are also other sizes by other manufacturers and they have all worked very well for me.

Check out http://www.batteryjunction.com/ (I'm just a very happy customer!)

Dennis.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    The Eneloop batteries are great. I use them in an Eotech 512 and also in my Xbox360 controllers. They definitely have low self-discharge as my game controllers are running months at a time on a single charge. Excellent batteries and hoping they come out with a higher mah rated version.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I also use Eneloops in AA and AAA sizes. I use them mostly in flashlights, but they're also perfect for remote controls and game controllers. I keep an Eneloop 2xAA/AAA USB charger in my computer bag for when I travel, that way I always have the ability to charge flashlight batteries on the road or when traveling internationally. (I bring a 1xAA Nitecore D10 with me along with my usual Surefires).

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Low self discharge batteries are great, but they do lack some charge capacity. Most of the AA ones I see are at best 2100mah, while regular NiMhs are 2600-2700mah. But holding the charge is a great feature and generally outweighs the lower capacity to me.

A rechargeable cr123 lithium has been created too, (also lower capacity) but is unable to spontaneously combust. Look for the LiFePO4 chemistry ones. Lighthound.com carries them and the proper charger.
    Two broken Tigers, on fire in the night,
    Flicker their souls to the wind...
    -Roads to Moscow

Not Forgotten:
    http://www.virtualwall.org/dk/KillenJD01a.htm
    http://www.virtualwall.org/db/BoddenTR01a.htm