Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Changing out flashhider on a BCM Recce upper....help

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)

Changing out flashhider on a BCM Recce upper....help

Recentlly got a BCM recce upper with DD Lite rail and am wanting to put a PWS FSC556 compensator on it.

I've never changed out a flash hider before....am I going to need to take the rails off of the upper to get the flash hider off without wrecking anything?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Nope. Just unscrew it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    In case anyone is keeping score, Cameron just won.
    Quote Originally Posted by Magic_Salad0892 View Post
    Cameron won again.

Feedback Score
    Unless you can hold the barrel tighter than I can, you may need a set of aluminum barrel blocks between the FSB and the FH. Just noticied that mine are about two blond ones too long to fit on a Middy- and my FSB is in front of my 9" rails.
    Last edited by shootist~; 02-03-10 at 18:19.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    So I am going to need to vise the barrel (as opposed to the upper receiver or rails) down to unscrew it without tweaking anything?

This is the upper so I really don't have a lot of barrel real estate to vise on to. If I do have to vise onto the barrel to unscrew the thing (from what I've read flash hiders are usually on there really tight) I guess I will have to take the rails off. Hoping I could have avoided that step.

Feedback Score
    41 (98%)
    Hold upper with left hand, use 3/4" open ended wrench in the other hand. Looking down the barrel from the receiver to the flash hider turn the flash hider clockwise.

Flash hiders that are secured with a crush washer are usually not that hard to get off. You'd really want to use a barrel block if you were trying to break Rockset or something like that. Just a crush washer will not be hard enough to worry about breaking anything like the pin that aligns the barrel into the upper. Besides that its torqued down by the barrel nut. You can put some thin tape over the flats on the flash hider if you are worried about any marring.

Install the brake according to the directions, and you're done.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Belmont31R View Post
    1) Hold upper with left hand, use 3/4" open ended wrench in the other hand.

2) Looking down the barrel from the receiver to the flash hider turn the flash hider clockwise.

3) You can put some thin tape over the flats on the flash hider if you are worried about any marring.
    +1

I like to hold the upper rec. in my bare feet and put my left hand on the FSB or rails, and turn with the right. I put the tape on an adjustable wrench and close until it's a perfect fit.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucky Strike View Post
    Recentlly got a BCM recce upper with DD Lite rail and am wanting to put a PWS FSC556 compensator on it.

I've never changed out a flash hider before....am I going to need to take the rails off of the upper to get the flash hider off without wrecking anything?
    The best way is to clamp the barrel in barrel blocks in the vise to remove the flash hider. This way you're not trying to spin the barrel within the upper receiver.
    Chief Armorer for Elite Shooting Sports in Manassas VA
    Chief Armorer for Corp Arms (FFL 07-08/SOT 02)

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by gotm4 View Post
    The best way is to clamp the barrel in barrel blocks in the vise to remove the flash hider. This way you're not trying to spin the barrel within the upper receiver.

Using some pieces of 2x4's (I can clamp them together, drill a barrel sized hole and then unclamp them and vice the barrel inbetween them) should work for this without marring up the barrel right?

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucky Strike View Post
    Using some pieces of 2x4's (I can clamp them together, drill a barrel sized hole and then unclamp them and vice the barrel inbetween them) should work for this without marring up the barrel right?
    Yes this will work great. Just make sure that the barrel sized hole is actually slightly smaller than the barrel. That way there will be more pressure placed on the barrel.

Feedback Score
    Use Oak if you can. Always clamp the barrel tighter than you think you need to - if the barrel spins in the blocks it will mar the finish the most.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast