Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: What's so great about the BCM Gunfighter?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by woodandsteel View Post
    Kind of a hijack, but for those of you who are using the BCM Gunfighter, which do you use or recommend?

I am looking at getting the Mod 4, with the medium latch. I can't find these locally to look at up close. So, my gut feeling is that I would be better served with the medium sized one. One fear that I have is that the larger latch, on the mod 3, would get caught on something.
    i searched the forum after making this thread and several people have had problems with the medium-sized latch pinching their hand

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by organdonor View Post
    i searched the forum after making this thread and several people have had problems with the medium-sized latch pinching their hand
    Ok, thank you.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Medium works for me, no pinching. Sample size: 1. That being said, the best way to determine your needs is to buy one, run it hard, and see if it works for you. If not, try the next size. Good luck.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Personally I have the smaller latch version installed on my blaster because, generally speaking, I don't want a latch that's going to hang up on stuff. I haven't had any pinchy pinchy problems with it so far. I'll be using it pretty heavily in a course over the weekend. If my delicate skin is assaulted in an intolerable manner I'll post an update.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    Read more. Manufacturers make billet lowers because they CAN'T make forged, because the forges to make lower receivers are HUGE! The alleged benefit is that by doing all the fab with machines instead of forging they can be more accurate but I don't believe this to be true, or an issue if it is true.

Most people buy billet lowers because the don't know better, it says "billet" on it, and they like the looks of the beefier lower.

BTW, the reason billet lowers are beefier is because it's weaker, meaning it has to be thicker to be as strong.

Is there any drawback to billet? I purchased a forged upper, it was out of spec, and I was sent a billet for my troubles. Any reason I would want to sell it and get a forged? I would not make any money, so I'd rather just keep the dam thing.
    Last edited by JonnyVain; 02-02-10 at 15:09.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by gotm4 View Post
    OR he's someone who shoots his guns for REAL. I've broken a few charging handles too, the original design leaves a lot to be desired. The Gunfighter is an excellent design. If view them as Z rated tires, few need them. But for those that use and need them they work as advertised.
    I was just trying to be a smart a$$.
    "Perfect Practice Makes Perfect"
    "There are 550 million firearms on this planet. That's one firearm for every 12 people. The question is... How do we arm the other 11?" Lord of War.
    "I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by woodandsteel View Post
    Kind of a hijack, but for those of you who are using the BCM Gunfighter, which do you use or recommend?

I am looking at getting the Mod 4, with the medium latch. I can't find these locally to look at up close. So, my gut feeling is that I would be better served with the medium sized one. One fear that I have is that the larger latch, on the mod 3, would get caught on something.
    I like the Mod 3. The longer ones rest on my outer armor and unlock.
    "There are 550 million firearms on this planet. That's one firearm for every 12 people. The question is... How do we arm the other 11?" Lord of War.
    "I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JonnyVain View Post
    Is there any drawback to billet? I purchased a forged upper, it was out of spec, and I was sent a billet for my troubles. Any reason I would want to sell it and get a forged? I would not make any money, so I'd rather just keep the dam thing.
    That would depend entirely on whether or not the upper they sent you as a replacement was within spec or not. Who was the manufacturer? Honestly, I'd ditch it after a lousy experience such as that and purchase a forged upper from a reputable manufacturer. The parts are out there and good parts cost little more than not-so-good parts. You'll probably be happier with it in the long run and it will leave you with little doubt as to the long term reliability and durability of your rifle.

As for the BCM Gunfighter charging handle, I wouldn't know as I bought a PRI handle with combat latch shortly before the BCM handle was released. Story of my life, man.
    Last edited by AnimalMother556; 02-02-10 at 17:22.

Feedback Score

Smile Be careful- it's tricky

Quote Originally Posted by CoryCop25 View Post
    I like the Mod 3. The longer ones rest on my outer armor and unlock.
    I hate to be the "Net know it all" but the Mod4 is the smaller latch. This is the one I have and it is the short latch so it will not poke me in the (ample) belly.

Counter intuitive, but
    Mod 3 = long latch
    Mod 4 = short (or normal) latch.

I know because, I spent hours making sure I got it right before spending money (plus I just double-checked on the BCM website).

M
    Last edited by mprasek; 02-02-10 at 18:06.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mprasek View Post
    I hate to be the "Net know it all" but the Mod4 is the smaller latch. This is the one I have and it is the short latch so it will not poke me in the (ample) belly.

Counter intuitive, but
    Mod 3 = long latch
    Mod 4 = short (or normal) latch.

I know because, I spent hours making sure I got it right before spending money (plus I just double-checked on the BCM website).

M
    MP, I meant mod 4. I always get them mixed up. I ordered another one and had to go back and see if I ordered the wrong one.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast