Thread: .22lr AR's...

Feedback Score

.22lr AR's...

Which complete rifle, or dedicated upper, has controls most similar to a real AR-15?

For all the different options out there (SW MP 15-22, Tactical Solutions dedicated uppers, Spikes uppers, Colt, etc.) which functions do they have that are true to ar-15's (obviously some of the items are a non-issue on the dedicated uppers)?

Trigger assembly?

Safety function?

Forward Assist function?

Mag release?

Bolt Hold Open on empty mag?

Bolt release?

From what i've read, everything about the S&W M&P 15-22 sounds good to me except that it is plastic. It's not that i have an issue with plastic in and of itself (i'm a big glock fan), it's that AR's aren't plastic guns. I would like a weight and feel that is similar to the real thing.

The other option i'm seriously considering is the Tactical Solutions dedicated upper. Aside from the extra cost (i'm sure i would end up with a lower specifically for this gun) it is my understanding that these don't have a functioning bolt release.

Educate me.

Thanks.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the link. I've read a lot of that thread, and there is a ton of good information there, but i didn't see the answers to the specific question i asked for the various dedicated uppers and complete .22 rilfes that are out there. I apologize if the info is there and i missed it.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by chmd View Post
    Which complete rifle, or dedicated upper, has controls most similar to a real AR-15?

For all the different options out there (SW MP 15-22, Tactical Solutions dedicated uppers, Spikes uppers, Colt, etc.) which functions do they have that are true to ar-15's (obviously some of the items are a non-issue on the dedicated uppers)?

Trigger assembly? SAME

Safety function? SAME

Forward Assist function? NOT USED

Mag release? SAME

Bolt Hold Open on empty mag? NOT ON CONVERSIONS

Bolt release? SEE ABOVE

From what i've read, everything about the S&W M&P 15-22 sounds good to me except that it is plastic. It's not that i have an issue with plastic in and of itself (i'm a big glock fan), it's that AR's aren't plastic guns. I would like a weight and feel that is similar to the real thing.

The other option i'm seriously considering is the Tactical Solutions dedicated upper. Aside from the extra cost (i'm sure i would end up with a lower specifically for this gun) it is my understanding that these don't have a functioning bolt release.

Educate me.

Thanks.

http://www.smith-wesson.com/wcsstore...fle_Manual.pdf

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    A new bolt catch is coming that will do BHO with a new version of the Black Dog mag. I went for a complete dedicated .22LR build, these last two components will make it perfect for me:

Feedback Score
    orionz06, Thank you for all your help. Appreciate it.

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    A new bolt catch is coming that will do BHO with a new version of the Black Dog mag. I went for a complete dedicated .22LR build, these last two components will make it perfect for me:

That would seal the deal for me. I would definitely go with a dedicated upper on a real lower if i knew i could get a different bolt catch that would do BHO. Any more details or eta's available?

Thanks

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    There's a thread over at TOS in the rimfire AR section with details about the BHO; the new Black Dog mags are supposedly 2 months out.

Feedback Score
    Thanks a lot for the info.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    A new bolt catch is coming that will do BHO with a new version of the Black Dog mag. I went for a complete dedicated .22LR build, these last two components will make it perfect for me
    I've been keeping an eye on that as well, for the same reasons.

Catch22 AR15 .22LR Bolt Catch