I'm new to this forum and I must say that I've been kinda overwhelmed with all the knowledge I've learned so far. After discovering the AR-15 chart, I made the decision to purchase a Colt 6920(16-inch barrel with carb gas system) in December. So far I love the rifle, but have only put about 500 rounds through it.

Recently I've been reading some threads about how the carbine length gas system had been beating up rifles with 16-inch barrels and that a midlength gas system was the way to go for 16-inch barrels. So my question is, was buying the Colt 6920 a bad decision versus trying to build a midlength BCM? I wouldn't say that I'll put a whole lot of rounds downrange with this rifle; probably between 1000-2000 a year.

Do you guys think I should address the issue with a midlength upper, get a shorter barrel, or is there a muzzle device that can reduce some of the back pressure? Am I just making a mountain out of a mole hill and I shouldn't be getting all worked up about this? I'm not a guy with endless finances, and I'd rather not go the SBR route. Thanks.