Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help me round out my EDC gear

Feedback Score

Help me round out my EDC gear

Hi all,

I am looking for some info/suggestions on how I should round out my daily carry gear. I currently carry a Glock 19 in a Dale Fricke Arch Angel holster in the A-IWB position, on a Wilderness tactical Frequent Flyer belt (5-stitch). Other than that, it's just your typical car keys, wallet and cell phone, all in pants pockets... plus my watch on my wrist.

We were at my daughter's school recently for an activity night when the power went out for about 30 seconds. It was completely dark in the school. My kids immediately grabbed for me to stick close. At that moment, I realized I needed to be more prepared. A flashlight would have been nice.

So, here's the list of things I'd like to add to my carry gear. I've listed them in what I *think* are priority order, and there would be times when I don't carry everything.

1. Small flashlight (Surefire) w/ carry pouch.

2. Folding knife that could be used for defense (in pouch on belt or in pocket)

3. Extra Glock 19 mag in pouch on belt (just need the pouch).

4. Small multi-tool in pouch on belt

What specific suggestions do you have for each of these needs? I'm primarily looking for tried and true products that will last, and are low-profile. Please include suggested carry pouches in your replies.

Regarding the multi-tool, this would be my first. I'd probably want a small one for EDC, but also get a larger (matching/same style) one for around the house or camping trips, etc. I've done a little research and these have gotten good review: Leatherman Charge Tti or Skeletool CX, Gerber, SOG, etc.

Anything else I'm missing or things I should be considering? Thanks for your time.

Chris

Feedback Score
    2 (75%)
    First off Beware of carrying too much shit, that usually means that youre looking for hardware solutions to software problems. Think real hard about what you actually need vs what you think would be good to have on your at all times.

1. I don't strap on a light when I get ready to go to work in the morning, I carry a flashlight when the situation dictates. I.E. I'm leaving the house afterdark to me the car is the best place to stow this item. for me it's a G2-Z. You can't really go wrong with Surefire.

2. I have nothing but good things to say about Spyderco's value line for an easily replaceble knock around blade. That said, a folding knife is a poor defensive tool unless you're well trained and are able to pre deploy it. Get yourself a small fixed blade meant for slashing with a retention hole similar to a Hide Away Knife or a La Griffe

3. I don't usually carry a reload personally, I see no practical use for it especially if you're already running around with 15+1 on tap. But I have inquired about having Raven make a "reverse cant" single mag pouch to be worn at about 11 o'clock. But really there's no shortage of workable options here.

4. This is another in-car item IMO but since most have a blade of some sort included if you choose to carry one I'd give up the folder.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    In the lights out situation, your cell phone would be ok to get some quick modest light.

I just can't get to where I carry a light on my all the time. You could get one of those Key Fob sized LED lights too. When out in the bush, I'll carry one of those on a dog tag chain. But that would be small enough to pocket all the time.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris17404 View Post
    Hi all,

So, here's the list of things I'd like to add to my carry gear. I've listed them in what I *think* are priority order, and there would be times when I don't carry everything.

What specific suggestions do you have for each of these needs? I'm primarily looking for tried and true products that will last, and are low-profile. Please include suggested carry pouches in your replies.

Regarding the multi-tool, this would be my first. I'd probably want a small one for EDC, but also get a larger (matching/same style) one for around the house or camping trips, etc. I've done a little research and these have gotten good review: Leatherman Charge Tti or Skeletool CX, Gerber, SOG, etc.

Anything else I'm missing or things I should be considering? Thanks for your time.

Chris

1. For your light, I would look at the Surefire E1B Back-Up.

It is small and easily carried. I clip mine inside the front support pocket of my jeans.

It uses 1-123 battery. It has variable output. Dim for maintenance type tasks and bright for "business" purposes.

2. For your knife...Pick one. Pick a price point (you get what you pay for.) It should open (and close) one handed, have a blade at least 3 inches long, and have a clip to secure it. There are literally hundreds. I carry a 15 year old Benchmade Emerson CQC-7. I like Benchmade, because of the Lifesharp Service. In the past, I have also found Cold Steel to be a tremendous value for a quality knife.

3. Mag Pouch...Decide on kydex or leather and go from there. Kydex is more durable. Leather will take up less real estate. You can further decideif you want it to clip on your belt or use the belt loops.

4. Use price point (you get what you pay for.) and size to guide your multi tool search. I have set of a SOG Power Pliers that I am happy with and carry on duty. I also have a Leatherman Wave in the car door.

Quote Originally Posted by Sry0fcr View Post
    1. I don't strap on a light when I get ready to go to work in the morning, I carry a flashlight when the situation dictates. I.E. I'm leaving the house afterdark to me the car is the best place to stow this item. for me it's a G2-Z. You can't really go wrong with Surefire.

3. I don't usually carry a reload personally, I see no practical use for it especially if you're already running around with 15+1 on tap. But I have inquired about having Raven make a "reverse cant" single mag pouch to be worn at about 11 o'clock. But really there's no shortage of workable options here.

4. This is another in-car item IMO but since most have a blade of some sort included if you choose to carry one I'd give up the folder.

1. You should carry a light even if you leave the house at 0800. Power inside a previously lit building can fail (as you mentioned.) You could be delayed past what you thought your day would entail. We do not plan for what we expect. We plan for the unexpected.

3. Carry a reload...always. the magazine is the most failure prone part of your weapon. Once you commit to an engagement, you do not want to be the one who calls "Time out...out of ammo." One is none. Two is one. Three makes perfect sense.

4. I don't carry a multi-tool off duty or when working plain clothes. I carry what I might need IMMEDIATELY. A multi tool is generally not an immediate need. This is an item that can be carried in a book bag, briefcase, or stored in a car or desk drawer.

Concealed carry is inconvenient. That is part of the responsibility. If you do it conveniently by omitting things like a reliable service caliber weapon, light, or spare mag , you are doing it wrong. Dress around your weapon. Don't plan your weapon around your dress. CONCEALED CARRY IS A LIFESTYLE CHOICE.
    US Army Military Police 97-03
    Federal LEO/M.R.T. 05-Present
    NRA Life Member

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter."
    -E. Hemingway

"I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, then questions the manner in which I provide it."
    -Jack Nicholson (A Few Good Men, 1992)

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    1. I carry some Surefire every day always, usually a 6PX Pro. I very much disagree that it is a night-only item. Whether looking for small parts on the shop floor, checking under the car seat for whatever youre looking for or if your day takes you somewhere you did not expect to go and you end up out in the dark in need of a reliable light source, my Surefires have been invaluable. They make decent improvised hammers, beer openers and of course impact devices. You cannot always carry your firearm. Consistently carrying your Surefire IWB gives you a reliable go-to for less lethal force. A good hammerfist to the skull with any Surefire in hand will put most if not all two-legged threats down. I would not recommend the Pro series, even for EDC. If I had the extra cash laying around, Id pick up a G2X Tactical. But the 6PX Pro works well enough for me so I cant really justify losing it.

2. Agreed on Spydercos. Not only do they get the job done for a lot less money, but it sucks a lot less when you lose/destroy your EDC knife and it was cheap. Couple months back a Zero Tolerance of mine got ripped out of my pants by some pavement and I didnt notice. Sucks. I carry a folder and a multi-tool. I abuse the folder. I use the multi-tool's knife when I need precision, but not strength in the knife's liner or locking mechanism. I have found few multi-tools with lockup solid enough to inspire faith in serious abuse of the knife. I carry my folder in my hip pocket, multi-tool IWB round 7 o'clock with my Surefire in a combo carrier of my own manufacture.

3. I carry an extra mag for my 19. The only justification I respect is that mag failure happens. I dont expect to be able to realistically speed reload under stress and/or with a threat possibly charging me, but it's not exactly a lot of trouble to carry the extra mag around 11 o'clock IWB and it could save my ass one day. I have no issues with it when seated or bent over.

4. Consider what you need in a multi-tool, buy based on reviews. My SuperTool 300, for example... I use a couple of the tools and most of the others Ive never touched. Consider carry options in terms of what Kydex carriers are available for them, (if that is how you would like to carry it), and as always, consider molding your own Kydex. Combo carriers aint exactly easy but theyre doable. Molding them becomes much easier if you invest in a Kydex molding press. Another necessity IMO for daily carry.

Speaking as someone who carries entirely too much shit on a daily basis, dont carry entirely too much shit on a daily basis. Or if you do, make it fairly covert. Dont walk around town with the cargo pockets of your BDUs about to burst with all the QC, TKs, mags and backup backup knives in them. There is prepared and then there is stupid. Define the line between them for yourself.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sry0fcr View Post
    First off Beware of carrying too much shit, that usually means that youre looking for hardware solutions to software problems. Think real hard about what you actually need vs what you think would be good to have on your at all times.

2. I have nothing but good things to say about Spyderco's value line for an easily replaceble knock around blade. That said, a folding knife is a poor defensive tool unless you're well trained and are able to pre deploy it. Get yourself a small fixed blade meant for slashing with a retention hole similar to a Hide Away Knife or a La Griffe

I disagree to some extent with everything in your reply. Have you had any formal Pistol training????
    Granted... I often too leave without a light or a spare mag... but not because I'm foolish enough to think those things are not necessary... It's just that I grab and go sometimes with only so many pockets.

Oops... I misread the Spyderco endorsement... I agree with that part.
    Last edited by markm; 12-01-11 at 14:04.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    I carry alot of shit around with me everyday, and I still have yet to make room for a multi and a light... I need to work on that.

As previously noted, your cell can make a good light. Smartphones usually have an available free app to turn on the camera LED.

Can't offer much help here, need to address this myself.

I've been carrying a Kershaw Ken Onion assisted clipped to my pocket for YEARS now. Wore out the assist part a couple times, but it's still easier to open than a regular type(Sorry, I'm not a blade guy, don't know the jargon). It's small, and keeps a good edge. Kershaw has a lifetime warranty last I checked.

Ready Tactical, IWB@11. Bought mine from SKD Tactical. Can't say enough good about it.

I have an SOG, but don't carry it around. Just too much crap on my belt area already... But I'm sure I'll need it someday and not have it.
    Last edited by kdcgrohl; 12-01-11 at 14:00.
    "A 'sporting purpose' is what we use to describe actions taken with a football." -S.W.A.T. Magazine

"...if you are cruising the ghetto looking for crack and tranny hookers and you shoot their transgender pimp for staring at you the wrong way, then yeah, you might have a problem." -Iraqgunz

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I carry a Fenix PD20 everywhere. It helps that a flashlight is required for work so I've become accustomed to it in my pocket. The clip design puts it all the way in your pocket so it's very unobtrusive.

As for knives, I don't really have any opinions. I've got a ZT350 and a little Gerber replaceable razor knife thing. Beyond that, it's as much preference as anything and you'd be better off looking at smarter men than I for knife recommendations.

As for extra mag, always. I'll echo the Ready Tactical kydex ones. Inexpensive, comfortable, solid performers. I've used both the pistol and AR mags in training classes and both have performed splendidly and exactly as advertised. I like to carry two, after all mags tend to be the most likely cause of a malfunction. Always at least one.

As far as multi-tools go, I'm a huge Leatherman fan, despite his politics. You name a multi-tool, I've owned it and broken it. I carry one and use it for work everyday and Leatherman's have consistently been the most solid performers. I do not carry it with me everywhere though. To be honest, outside of work, or tucked in an accessible tool box, it rarely gets used, and I've never been in a situation where not having one was any particular hindrance. Sure having one is better than not, but I just don't really use it enough in everyday life.
    I'm not cool. I just do this stuff for fun.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    For a simple, inexpensive, but very decent EDC light, the Jetbeam BC10 is very nice. One CR123, but it is bright and easy to carry. Good backup light.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I have a Kydex mag carrier for my M&P 9c but the one I carry the most is a cell phone holster (back when they weren't all flat faced touchscreens) that covers the mag quite well and is much less "tactical" when wearing a suit...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast