Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: SOCOM M4A1 14.5'' Upper builds.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Holy dead thread resurrection......

Franklin- BCM makes the M4A1 barrel if you want one.
    Last edited by Stickman; 10-28-10 at 11:48.
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dano5326 View Post
    The heavy barrel is a not very effective solution to a firing schedule issue(institution unamed...). Yes it takes a few more rds to heat up, but much longer to cool down.

A better way is to:
    -increase surface area (flute, dimple, crinkle sandblast, or combo application)
    -more effective venting through the handguards
    -heatsink barrel nuts
    -train on a realistic firing schedule that replicates the peaks & lulls of conflict
    The above do help the rifle cool quicker but a heavier barrel still deals with heat better than a lighter one made of the same material. A lighter barrel my cool quicker but it reaches a higher temperature while dealing with the same amount of heat which leads to greater erosion.

Steel melts at the same temperature regardless of it's mass. Thinner steel needs less heat (fewer BTUs) before it reaches that temperature.

The argument that "lighter barrels cool faster" doesn't tell the whole story and is mis-leading
    Last edited by MistWolf; 10-28-10 at 13:37.

Feedback Score
    There is some seriously false information posted in this thread. The weight difference between a standard Colt M4/government profile barrel and the Colt SOCOM barrel is little more than 4 ounces. Here are some actual facts on the subject matter. All weights listed below are for the stripped barrel (the barrel and barrel extension only.)

Approximate stripped weights . . .

Colt 6520/6720, 16" light-weight barrel: 1 pound, 6 ounces.

Colt 14.5" M4/government profile barrel: 1 pound, 9 ounces.

Centurion Arms 16” hammer-forged “light weight” barrel: 1 pound, 10 ounces.

Noveske 16” N4 "light" barrel: 1 pound, 12 ounces.

Colt 6920, 16" M4/governmnet profile barrel: 1 pound, 12 ounces.

Colt 14.5” SOCOM barrel: 1 pound, 13 ounces.

Noveske 16" RECON, medium contour barrel: 2 pounds, 1.6 ounces.

Colt 6721, 16" HBAR: 2 pounds, 3.4 ounces.

Standard M4/government profile versus SOCOM profile.

Last edited by Molon; 11-07-10 at 17:08.
    All that is necessary for trolls to flourish, is for good men to do nothing.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stickman View Post
    Holy dead thread resurrection......

Franklin- BCM makes the M4A1 barrel if you want one.
    Wow, didnt see last post was 2007 til now... I ended up buying a colt barrel, will be putting it on a 6920 with a DD RIS II and rattle canning everything.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by N.Franklin View Post
    Wow, didnt see last post was 2007 til now... I ended up buying a colt barrel, will be putting it on a 6920 with a DD RIS II and rattle canning everything.
    I'm surprised it hasn't been consolidated into the "Ar Picture Thread" yet.......
    By now your name and particulars have been fed into every laptop, desktop, mainframe and supermarket scanner that collectively make up the global information conspiracy otherwise known as "THE BEAST."

Feedback Score
    Additional barrels added to post #14.
    All that is necessary for trolls to flourish, is for good men to do nothing.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Don't buy CMMG barrels. Leave them for the Arfcom Inkjet printer repairmen!!!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by N.Franklin View Post
    That's going to be one heavy ass upper!

ETA - I ditched my M4A1 upper eons ago.
    Last edited by .45fmjoe; 11-07-10 at 19:00.

Feedback Score
    I have the CMMG and im getting the BCM barreled SOCOM upper in a couple weeks.Weight increase is neglidgeable.I like a heavier barrel and this one fits the need and want.My rifles are real simple Aimpoint,BUIS and a light with standard handguards...removing the rails lightened it up and my needs for the accesories I use never required more rail space.If I want a foregrip I can always add a 2" rail to the bottom handguard.

Feedback Score
    Good thread. There has been lot of interest about the SOCOM barrel since the Army said they would be adding them to all M4's

I wouldn't want the extra weight personally on a semi weapon
    Kein Mitleid Für Die Mehrheit
    What Happened to the American dream? It came true. You're looking at it.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast