Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Colt 6920 carbine gas length okay?

Feedback Score

Colt 6920 carbine gas length okay?

I'm new to this forum and I must say that I've been kinda overwhelmed with all the knowledge I've learned so far. After discovering the AR-15 chart, I made the decision to purchase a Colt 6920(16-inch barrel with carb gas system) in December. So far I love the rifle, but have only put about 500 rounds through it.

Recently I've been reading some threads about how the carbine length gas system had been beating up rifles with 16-inch barrels and that a midlength gas system was the way to go for 16-inch barrels. So my question is, was buying the Colt 6920 a bad decision versus trying to build a midlength BCM? I wouldn't say that I'll put a whole lot of rounds downrange with this rifle; probably between 1000-2000 a year.

Do you guys think I should address the issue with a midlength upper, get a shorter barrel, or is there a muzzle device that can reduce some of the back pressure? Am I just making a mountain out of a mole hill and I shouldn't be getting all worked up about this? I'm not a guy with endless finances, and I'd rather not go the SBR route. Thanks.

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    If you are going to have a carbine length gas system, Colt is the one to have.
    Don't overthink it or worry about it. While middies are great, a good CAR gas gun will be wholly acceptable.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Great gun. Good argument could be made for the 6920 being the standard which others are measured against.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the info! I'll probably build a midlength BCM in the future, but for now I'll be happy with what I've got.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    The 6920 is the standard that other carbines are judged by. You made a good choice with your purchase and I think you might be overthinking a little bit.

There are definite benefits to the midlength over the carbine on a 16" barrel but the 6920 is still a solid weapon.

Just build up the BCM midlength for your next rifle.
    Only hits count......you can not miss fast enough to catch up

"I'm just a one man army waging jihad against shitty ARs, one rifle at a time." Will Larson (IraqGunz) I miss you my friend

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    IMO when the middy is the same price as a carbine, I'd always get the middy. Theres a nice sale on Daniel Defense XV M4 at AIM Surplus for $999 if you wanted another option, very high quality as well.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Why not cut it to 14.5" then you will have what the Carbine gas system was designed for ?

Feedback Score
    I encountered the same phobia when I joined the forum. I worried if I made a bad investment, but then I realized. The 6920 is the standard by which all other carbines are judged. It is a SOLID weapon, tested, proven, and trusted by law enforcement agencies worldwide.

Sure, the 16" bbl creates more pressure than the 14 1/2 bbl, but the most important thing in the world is that you trust your weapon, no matter what. Mine hasn't failed me yet, and yours won't either as long as you maintain it properly (which I'm sure you will).

Quit worrying about it and enjoy that fine rifle you purchased.
    Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my AR.

Feedback Score
    I carry one for work just about every day. Colt is the only rifle the company will buy.
    Barry

Feedback Score
    I have 2 6920s and 2 middies. I have no problems with the reliability of either. You have an outstanding weapon, so don't every worry about buyers remorse with a 6920. Get a carbine class or two under your belt and drive on.
    For God and the soldier we adore, In time of danger, not before! The danger passed, and all things righted, God is forgotten and the soldier slighted." - Rudyard Kipling

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast