Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What's so great about the BCM Gunfighter?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

What's so great about the BCM Gunfighter?

It's machined from billet? Is that it? Does that really make it any more reliable? The dimensions can't be any heftier or it wouldn't fit.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    billet is weaker than a forging, so that wouldn't be very productive.

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    Have you looked at it at their site or read any of the discussions here? There is plenty of info there.

Quote Originally Posted by organdonor View Post
    It's machined from billet? Is that it? Does that really make it any more reliable? The dimensions can't be any heftier or it wouldn't fit.

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Do you understand the concept of support hand manipulations and the desire to maintain the master grip on the carbine?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Iraqgunz View Post
    Have you looked at it at their site or read any of the discussions here?
    No fair asking questions you already know the answer to!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    billet is weaker than a forging, so that wouldn't be very productive.
    hmmm. i'd always been under the impression that billet was stronger. never done any research but everyone gets so excited about Larue, Spikes, Mega, etc billet uppers and lowers; I figured they must be better... not to mention manufacturers usually charge more for them. So, if it's weaker what's the benefit?
    Quote Originally Posted by Iraqgunz View Post
    Have you looked at it at their site or read any of the discussions here? There is plenty of info there.
    Yes, I've read the specs. Nothing stands out there... except the fact that it's billet -- that's why I'm asking what makes it "A Charging Handle for the 21st Century"?
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Katar View Post
    Do you understand the concept of support hand manipulations and the desire to maintain the master grip on the carbine?
    Yes. And there are other charging handles with large latches. I'm wondering if there's something I'm missing here. I thought I'd pinpointed it while under the assumption that billet was a sturdier material -- turns out that it isn't(learned something today).
    Last edited by organdonor; 02-01-10 at 16:03.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    hmmm. i'd always been under the impression that billet was stronger. never done any research but everyone gets so excited about Larue, Spikes, Mega, etc billet uppers and lowers; I figured they must be better... not to mention manufacturers usually charge more for them. So, if it's weaker what's the benefit?
    Read more. Manufacturers make billet lowers because they CAN'T make forged, because the forges to make lower receivers are HUGE! The alleged benefit is that by doing all the fab with machines instead of forging they can be more accurate but I don't believe this to be true, or an issue if it is true.

Most people buy billet lowers because the don't know better, it says "billet" on it, and they like the looks of the beefier lower.

BTW, the reason billet lowers are beefier is because it's weaker, meaning it has to be thicker to be as strong.

Feedback Score
    hmmm. i'd always been under the impression that billet was stronger. never done any research but everyone gets so excited about Larue, Spikes, Mega, etc billet uppers and lowers; I figured they must be better... not to mention manufacturers usually charge more for them. So, if it's weaker what's the benefit?Yes, I've read the specs. Nothing stands out there... except the fact that it's billet -- that's why I'm asking what makes it "A Charging Handle for the 21st Century"?Yes. And there are other charging handles with large latches. I'm wondering if there's something I'm missing here. I thought I'd pinpointed it while under the assumption that billet was a sturdier material -- turns out that it isn't(learned something today).
    Common misconception forgings are stronger. Changing a profile on a part is easier on a CNC cut billet part than paying for a new forging die.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Do you see how the actual lever is supported at the rear of the handle and how it uses a stronger roll pin?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Katar View Post
    Do you see how the actual lever is supported at the rear of the handle and how it uses a stronger roll pin?
    alright. I feel stupid for not having read past the specs list on their site now.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast