Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Embrace the suck--CROSSFIT

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonhgross View Post
    I fail to see how this is better than running/biking days mixed with serious weightlifting days. The downsides are that most of the weightlifting besides traditional squat/deadlift that I see the crossfitters at my gym doing are either ineffective other than for cardio or dangerous to ligaments and joints.
    What's dangerous to joints or ineffective about cleans, snatches, thrusters etc?

Have you tried it?

There's a reason a lot of mil and le persons have adopted it. There fight isn't a 12 mile bike and 3x5 squats.

Feedback Score
    There are IMO 2 versions of Crossfit right now. One not available at your average gym yet they run classes. The other is totally BADASS and will get you into great shape.
    BUY IT CHEAP AND STACK IT DEEP

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cascades236 View Post
    What's dangerous to joints or ineffective about cleans, snatches, thrusters etc?

Have you tried it?

There's a reason a lot of mil and le persons have adopted it. There fight isn't a 12 mile bike and 3x5 squats.
    The two seals at my gym don't do it, but they are a little older, maybe to you they don't know any better. I have good joints for the most part except my shoulders. I want to stay in shape and look good well into old age. My wife (multi certified trainer ) agrees with my philosophy. To keep lifting and working out I to old age like Draper, I'll follow an approach that keeps my mid 30s joints in the same or better shape than they are now. I won't go down the path of many others ho try this and try that only to develop deep tissue scars and muscle tares that prohibit their continued training. But hey, if you want to crossfit it's your body. I am no suggesting it won't get you on shape and ready to move loads agressively and in akward ways, because it will. But it's relatively inefficient for the time it takes and is relatively dangerous compared to other types of training. You mentioned 3x5 s. I don't dont work that routine either for the same reasons. And yes, I have tried that and crossfit. Have you tried an approach like in Mcrobberts book?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonhgross View Post
    But it's relatively inefficient for the time it takes and is relatively dangerous compared to other types of training.

i have to politely disagree with this. See, I find it to be quite the opposite, but maybe I'm just not familiar with the type of training you are, so keep that in mind. I used to weightlift exclusively and almost never run, sans a 10minute light treadmill jog. I benched 270, and at the time, thought I was in good shape.

Now I haven't touched a weight (except kettlebells maybe a dozen times) for over two years. I've only been working for the past 12 months doing Crossfit/Sealfit type workouts, and I feel like I am in better shape than I ever was. Just for giggles, I tried the bench the other day, and it was a huuge struggle to manage 200pounds.

Compared to my weight training days I feel more agile, stronger, more flexible, more explosive, have more stamina and endurance, run much better, I'm less prone to injuries and I recover much faster.

Of course it may be something about the way I weightlifted, but in my personal experience, Crossfit/SEALfit kicks my ass much faster and is more time efficient, and has also caused less injuries than my normal weightlifting did. YMMV.
    "Doc, can you check out this thing I got?"
    -Every Marine, ever.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Crossfit & Shooting...

Patrol Incident Gear
    Available at http://www.skdtac.com
    Join our Facebook Fan Page for Specials, Updates and Discounts!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by piggly_wiggly View Post
    Pretty cool!
    As required: "I work for ITS Tactical as an editor".

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by piggly_wiggly View Post
    Nice practical example of what physical exertion can do to accuracy.

Kudos!

Feedback Score
    "weight lifting" or "weight training" (two words) is for bodybuilding/body modification (cosmetics) and/or strength training

"weightlifting" (one word) is a COMPETITIVE SPORT of Power = force*distance/TIME

Their respective aims are entirely different.

Feedback Score
    SEALfit, GYM Jones is legit. It takes me several crossfit workouts...usually. And a 15-20 mile run

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Once my friend left for his new job, I was faced with regular CrossFit rates and dropped it. I really miss it. One of my CrossFit instructors just started teaching "CrossFit" classes at my regular (municipal) gym but lacking the rings and weights, it is definitely CrossFit Lite. Still, I enjoy the workout.
    One of the thing if you do like crossfit workouts you can go to crossfit.com for different workouts, you can even see videos on how to perform some of the exercises correctly. One of the things I like about it is that it's different and brings a lot of variety to "gymtime".

Also with a moderate understanding you can develop your own WOD's (workout of the day), if the ones from the site get boring or if say you can't perform some of the movements due to injury.
    "Warriors"

Out of every 100 men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets. Nine are the real fighters and we are lucky to have them for they make the battle. Ah, but the one...one is a Warrior, and he will bring all the others back.

-Heraclitis

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast