Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Which Surefire WeaponLight???

Feedback Score

Which Surefire WeaponLight???

Guys,
    I'm trying to decide on a Surefire weaponlight for my Colt 16" M4.
    Now I have not yet decided on a free float rail, so I know this is going to affect things a bit.
    Anyhow, I trying to decide on my options, as Surefire has so many different methods of mounting, and they have several different lights to choose from.
    What are the most popular Surefire M4/AR15 weapon systems being used?

I'm still a bit confused about just how many lights they have, or at least which specific models I should be considering.
    Can anyone shed a little wisdom here?

I want a nice strong, lightweight light for general defense in the dark.
    I am just trying to figure out my options.

One thing I DO KNOW, is that I have never liked any type of mount that puts the light on your FSB.
    I can't stand the look of that.
    Part of me wants to say that I'd prefer the light to be directly under the barrel, but then I see so many mounted to the side of the barrel, and I'm wondering if this might be an option for me as well.
    How many options are there for under the barrel mounting? I know there is the VFG mount, and I also think there is a regular picatinny mount that would work on the underside of a free float rail, which would put the light under the barrel.
    Can anyone help me with some options here? The SF website is a little overwhelming, and just makes it hard to choose...

BTW, one other thing I should mention, is that I've never really liked vertical foregrips (VFG's), so I'm THINKING a VFG mounted light will probably not be an option for me....

Thanks.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    The Scout or the 951/952.
    Chief Armorer for Elite Shooting Sports in Manassas VA
    Chief Armorer for Corp Arms (FFL 07-08/SOT 02)

Feedback Score
    for another option, how about a 6P or a G2, maybe with a shock isolated bezel (Z32?), in a daniel defense ring. Grant has them.
    Cold Zero

Feedback Score
    +1 Scout or the 951/ 952

The M951 the third digit of the model number describes the mounting which in this case "1" means dual screw type mount.

The M952 means ARMS lever mount, the other characters to the right of the model numbers are either "C" which means a clicker type of push button switch and the "XM07" are both push button and cable pressure pad, the pushbutton and pressure-activated tape switch operate independently, providing switch redundancy. Standard pressure pad cable length is 7" (fits most rifle/ carbine applications).

I've got the M951C mounted on my KAC M4 RAS rail because I prefer the simple pushbutton without wires to tangle with my gear

My M951 is a new model which have a thinner main body and less material than the older model, it's about 10% lighter than before.

A picatinny rail could be added at the bottom of standard handguard to mount the light but in my opinion a drop in rail like the KAC, Samson or Midwest Industries are better than just he add on bottom rail.

Ask Grant (of G&R Tactical) he should have them or even custom made it with LaRue Tactical mount which is the best Surefire mount in my opinion.
    YMMV

AR-15 SP1 owner since 1971
    NRA and CRPA life member

Feedback Score
    Well I should say that I do not think I'll want any wiring ran anywhere either.
    I am not sure HOW many ways there are to turn the lights on. I have only seen the VFG switches, where either a tape switch is used on the VFG itself, OR where you just reach your finger over and push the tailcap switch on the light, with your left thumb.
    Are there any other options of turning the light on/off?

So, it looks like either the Scout, or the 951/952 huh???

Hope to hear more from you guys on this...

Feedback Score
    I use the m962. I would not reccomend a light for use in the house over 200 lumens.

Rob

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by AR-15A3 View Post
    +1 Scout or the 951/ 952

The M951 the third digit of the model number describes the mounting which in this case "1" means dual screw type mount.

The M952 means ARMS lever mount, the other characters to the right of the model numbers are either "C" which means a clicker type of push button switch and the "XM07" are both push button and cable pressure pad, the pushbutton and pressure-activated tape switch operate independently, providing switch redundancy. Standard pressure pad cable length is 7" (fits most rifle/ carbine applications).

I've got the M951C mounted on my KAC M4 RAS rail because I prefer the simple pushbutton without wires to tangle with my gear

My M951 is a new model which have a thinner main body and less material than the older model, it's about 10% lighter than before.

A picatinny rail could be added at the bottom of standard handguard to mount the light but in my opinion a drop in rail like the KAC, Samson or Midwest Industries are better than just he add on bottom rail.

Ask Grant (of G&R Tactical) he should have them or even custom made it with LaRue Tactical mount which is the best Surefire mount in my opinion.

So how exactly does the M951 mount in the pic??? Is this a Larue mount or Surefire mount??
    I really like the simplicity of that setup, but I am thinking I MIGHT like to use a smaller light, for a little more of a lightweight setup.
    Can I purchase a setup similar to this pic you posted of your M951, but with a DIFFERENT, SMALLER light???
    I DO think that I want to use that basic style of setup though. Very KISS, and I think it will be just what I'm after. HOW does it attach to the rail???
    What is the run time and lumen output of this M951? What is the length of the light body?
    Thanks.

Feedback Score

Lightweight

I just got a Surefire M600 Scout Light last week. It is very compact and comes with it's own single thumbscrew mounting ring. It also comes with both a thumb activator (constant on/off) as well as a tape activation strip.

My 1st impressions:

- Very compact! I also have a Surefire M962XM07 and it is probably 1/4 the size and weight of that big beast. (I'll see if I can find a scale if you want #'s)

- Lightweight: See above

- Output: It is brighter than both my E2E and L1 Lumamax. (As confirmed by an unscientific study my wife & I just conducted!)

- $$$: For about $30 more than a M951 you could get the Scout light. It's lighter, smaller and an LED based light that will last longer.

Just my opinion.

Feedback Score
    look at the 600 scout light , i have one mounted on my kac rail system at the 6 o clock . it came with the push button , as well as the pressure switch. check on the availability - it took surefire about 5 months to get mine to me . i should mention also that it came with 2 heads , a LED and the standard bulb setup . both are absolutely blinding in the dark
    Last edited by TUNNEL RAT 33; 04-08-07 at 16:19. Reason: misspellings

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    For a 6 volt light I like the Surefire Scout (M600) light with the incandesent bulb housing (like this much better than the LED that comes standard on the Scout....and it's cheaper) and clicker tail cap on a LaRue Tactical mount. Nice small lightweight package:

For situations when more light is desired (ie. clearing long hall ways, schools, industrial buildings, alleys, large outside areas, etc). I prefer the 961C 9 volt with the clicker tail cap and LaRue mount:

I have the "clicker" tail caps on all of my lights, as I have seen too many accidental light discharges with tape switches. And tape switches don't give you the option of "constant on" if you need to perform tasks with your support hand (ie. opening doors, picking up items, grabbing / holding a suspect, etc). Another benefit is that they are cheaper than a tape switch as well.

Semper Fi,
    Jeff

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast