Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Which Surefire WeaponLight???

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Cataldo View Post
    So how exactly does the M951 mount in the pic??? Is this a Larue mount or Surefire mount??
    I really like the simplicity of that setup, but I am thinking I MIGHT like to use a smaller light, for a little more of a lightweight setup.
    Can I purchase a setup similar to this pic you posted of your M951, but with a DIFFERENT, SMALLER light???
    I DO think that I want to use that basic style of setup though. Very KISS, and I think it will be just what I'm after. HOW does it attach to the rail???
    What is the run time and lumen output of this M951? What is the length of the light body?
    Thanks.
    I don't have a LaRue mount yet, I'll get it later on when they improve the design by adding their new LT-exclusive lever safety lock.

The one on mine is the Surefire standard screw mount, the rail clamp is tightened to the rail when you turn the two thumb screws (I always use blue Loctite on all my threads).

The Surefire model M600 Scout like on USMC03's photo is smaller if you prefer a smaller light but slightly more cost.

The M95X series are 6-volt shock-isolated system powered by two lithium batteries and providing 65 lumens for one-hour of runtime or 120 lumens for 20 minutes using an included ultra-high output lamp assembly.

The overall length of the light body is about 6" and the smallest width at the center of the body of the new latest M95X models which I have are only .75" outer diameter.

Ref. Surefire M951 Millennium Universal WeaponLight System website link

Here's my setup of my LMT 16" Defender 2000 M4 carbine, I try to keep it as simple as possible by only mounting a KAC M4 RAS drop in rails, Surefire weaponlight, KAC VFG, EOTech 551 and LaRue EOTech QD mount

The M4 carbine on the upper picture is my main home defense weapon, I also have this Colt AR6721 16" Operator mid length gas system, medium contour barrel with LaRue free float 9.0 rails, TangoDown VFG and Surefire M961C weaponlight which is my heavy duty general purpose outdoor (SHTF) gun
    YMMV

AR-15 SP1 owner since 1971
    NRA and CRPA life member

Feedback Score
    Surefire 952C with LaRue offset mount.

Owner - BRD Engineering

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by USMC03 View Post
    For a 6 volt light I like the Surefire Scout (M600) light with the incandesent bulb housing (like this much better than the LED that comes standard on the Scout....and it's cheaper) and clicker tail cap on a LaRue Tactical mount. Nice small lightweight package:

For situations when more light is desired (ie. clearing long hall ways, schools, industrial buildings, alleys, large outside areas, etc). I prefer the 961C 9 volt with the clicker tail cap and LaRue mount:

I have the "clicker" tail caps on all of my lights, as I have seen too many accidental light discharges with tape switches. And tape switches don't give you the option of "constant on" if you need to perform tasks with your support hand (ie. opening doors, picking up items, grabbing / holding a suspect, etc). Another benefit is that they are cheaper than a tape switch as well.
    This is exactly the same logic and setup that I use/want. Anyone know of a retailer selling the scout light with the LT mount as pictured in the first picture above?

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    This is exactly the same logic and setup that I use/want. Anyone know of a retailer selling the scout light with the LT mount as pictured in the first picture above?

I sell scout light with the LT Scout mount. I also have a more custom scout setup with a Z68 tail cap and the M60A head. This head allows you to use standard covers/filters.

C4

M60LUE06

M60L68

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by C4IGrant View Post
    M60L68

Yes, that's exactly what I want! Price?

Also, do they make the Larue mount with a reverse lever?

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    Yes, that's exactly what I want! Price?

Also, do they make the Larue mount with a reverse lever?

Price for you? $500.

C4

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Sorry for not getting back to this sooner. The M60L68 is $256.

C4

Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    Bringing this back from the dead...

Like the op I'm looking for a weapon light and am a bit overwhelmed. Some of the above is quite out of date which is why I'm posting.

The light will be going on 16" carbine with 7" ff rail, vfg, and fixed fsb. I had a cheap light on the weapon for awhile so I have an idea of what kind of shadow will be cast by the barrel. Still, I like the idea of being able to get the light out as far as possible. Three models I've been looking at are the x300, mini scout, and M600C.

Obviously the x300 is the cheapest and most compact and negates any wires or tape switches. I've seen the x300 rated at both 110 and 170 lumens on different sites, can anyone confirm the actual number? (I've read on here that SF ratings are generously lower than actual output) The mini scout would stick out a bit more but it has a shorter run time. The M600C sticks out the furthest but it has the highest price tag.

After batting things around I'm leaning toward the x300. Can anyone cite their experiences and/or ideas?
    B.A.S. Mechanical Engineering Technology

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    My understanding is that SureFire re-rated the 110-lumen lights to 170 lumens, but they are the same. As you stated, SureFire is known for underrating their lights and 110 lumens was well below the real-world output of these lights so SF changed the number in the specs to be closer to actual output. I wouldn't worry about it, whatever the packaging says just know that it will be BRIGHT.

I recommend getting the M600 Scout Light. You stated that you want the light as far forward as possible and on a 16-inch carbine with only 7 inches of rail you will need all the extra reach you can get to reduce barrel shadow and the longer M600 will help you get the light as far forward as possible. The X300 in the 12 o'clock position is also used with good results by many though I don't use this setup myself but it is another great option to look at, and versatile in it's own way.
    Last edited by El Pistolero; 03-29-11 at 08:37. Reason: spelling

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Sure fire

I use the scout and the x300 with the gear sector adaptors. The x300 is versatile in that you can take it off and put it on your pistol as well. Although I have my personal rifles set up with the scout and my work with the x300.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast