Thread: McClicky Tailcap Button Install Help

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)

McClicky Tailcap Button Install Help

I can't get the damn plastic disk off from inside the G2 tailcap! Anyone who has installed McClicky, how did you do it? I've tried a hair dryer on its highest setting, and baking it at 250*F for 20 mins, but I got nothing.
    Know your role, and shut your mouth.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    It can be really hard depending on how happy the guy at the factory got with the glue. I have even used a 1200degree heat gun that didn't work on one. I'm not sure freezing will work with a plastic tailcap, but it's worth a try before something more destructive. Otherwise you can put the whole thing in a vice, drill some bigger holes in the ring and use a pair of needlenose pliers to turn it out.

Good luck!

Dennis.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Put the tailcap in a pot of boiling water for 10-15 minutes (don't put it in a bag or anything, just toss it in the water), the plastic tailcap will not melt so don't worry about the heat. I had a tough time with my G2Z tailcap, but the Nitrolon plastic is very tough and with the boiling water it should unscrew easily, no need to "drill holes."

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by El Pistolero View Post
    Put the tailcap in a pot of boiling water for 10-15 minutes (don't put it in a bag or anything, just toss it in the water), the plastic tailcap will not melt so don't worry about the heat. I had a tough time with my G2Z tailcap, but the Nitrolon plastic is very tough and with the boiling water it should unscrew easily, no need to "drill holes."
    Did this and it came out! Took me about 30 mins. Thanks!
    Know your role, and shut your mouth.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    No problem, glad to help.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Guess I got a bit carried away when my aluminum tailcaps wouldn't come out even when heated to the point of the inner plastic ring becoming extra pliable... I'll try boiling water next time!

Thanks,

Dennis.