Guys,
I'm trying to decide on a Surefire weaponlight for my Colt 16" M4.
Now I have not yet decided on a free float rail, so I know this is going to affect things a bit.
Anyhow, I trying to decide on my options, as Surefire has so many different methods of mounting, and they have several different lights to choose from.
What are the most popular Surefire M4/AR15 weapon systems being used?

I'm still a bit confused about just how many lights they have, or at least which specific models I should be considering.
Can anyone shed a little wisdom here?

I want a nice strong, lightweight light for general defense in the dark.
I am just trying to figure out my options.

One thing I DO KNOW, is that I have never liked any type of mount that puts the light on your FSB.
I can't stand the look of that.
Part of me wants to say that I'd prefer the light to be directly under the barrel, but then I see so many mounted to the side of the barrel, and I'm wondering if this might be an option for me as well.
How many options are there for under the barrel mounting? I know there is the VFG mount, and I also think there is a regular picatinny mount that would work on the underside of a free float rail, which would put the light under the barrel.
Can anyone help me with some options here? The SF website is a little overwhelming, and just makes it hard to choose...

BTW, one other thing I should mention, is that I've never really liked vertical foregrips (VFG's), so I'm THINKING a VFG mounted light will probably not be an option for me....

Thanks.