Thread: LMT Barrels

Feedback Score

LMT Barrels

I am building an AR and have been quoted $308 for a brand new 16 inch LMT barrel with the d-ring, gas tube, front sight and flash hider.

Is that barrel worth $308 dollars? Since worth is a fairly subjective concept let me tell you what I am looking for and what the gun is going to be used for. I'll I will be using this gun for training, some three gun and general range work. It doesn't have to be a bench rest quality sub MOA barrel.

Do I have better options available in that price range in terms of quality, consistency and accuracy? I am looking for a 16 inch, 1 in 7, M4 feedramps, 5.56 chamber and a f marked front sight.

Thanks

Feedback Score
    I just ordered an LMT barrel on Saturday. To me it's worth it, LMT doesn't sell barrel assemblies anymore so if you consider the price of a 16" LMT upper at $485 - $308, the upper reciever would cost $177.

Colt 16" M4 (LE6920) barrels go for $395.00 from SAW.

I was going to use a Daniel Defense barrel but was a month too late, now they're out of stock. Sabre Defense is another option I considered, as well as BCM and CMMG.

I have one gun built with an MOS M4 barrel. It had all the features, I picked it up from Grant, although I believe those aren't available anymore either.

There are other barrels with comparable features out there but usually don't have ALL the same features such as barrel steel.

Feedback Score
    Have you considered 16" mid length gas systems barrels?

The mid length gas systems barrels have a longer gas tube than a carbine gas system but shorter than a rifle gas system.

The front sight is about 2" more forward than the CAR gas system so you have better sight radius and about the same 2" longer handguard length which gives more room for your hand, light, VFG and any accessories you would like to use.

The action of the mid length gas system is smoother than the CAR system and slightly more reliable specially in colder temperatures.

Sabre Defense and CMMG have standard Government profile also CMMG have medium contour barrels, they all use Mil-Spec steel, chrome lined, 1/7, M4 feedramps and MPI tested the same as LMT barrels.

I have a LMT 16" CAR barrel and a 16" mid length gas system Rock Creek (same barrel supplier of LMT) barrel and I prefer to shoot my mid length carbine most of the time.
    YMMV

AR-15 SP1 owner since 1971
    NRA and CRPA life member

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the responses. I have no problem with going with a mid length barrel.

I took a look at the CMMG barrels but decided against using one after reading up on them on this board. I would love to have a BCM barrel but from what I understand they are still months out and you have to buy the entire upper just to get at the barrel.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by -Wes- View Post
    I just ordered an LMT barrel on Saturday. To me it's worth it, LMT doesn't sell barrel assemblies anymore so if you consider the price of a 16" LMT upper at $485 - $308, the upper reciever would cost $177.

Colt 16" M4 (LE6920) barrels go for $395.00 from SAW.

I was going to use a Daniel Defense barrel but was a month too late, now they're out of stock. Sabre Defense is another option I considered, as well as BCM and CMMG.

I have one gun built with an MOS M4 barrel. It had all the features, I picked it up from Grant, although I believe those aren't available anymore either.

There are other barrels with comparable features out there but usually don't have ALL the same features such as barrel steel.

I was at there web site

are you saying LMT wont sell just a BARREL

I have 2 LMT M4 14.5

A Defender 2000 SOPMOD

and one is a LMT M4 upper on my Bushmaster lower

They are super accurate

with Blue box BH 75 0r 77 or Mk262 you get ragged holes

Feedback Score
    Correct, they don't sell just the barrel, or just the upper receiver.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by -Wes- View Post
    Correct, they don't sell just the barrel, or just the upper receiver.

I think I know now

they were all for there mrp .

anyway I also wish LMT would put there logo on there M4 barrels

Feedback Score
    I split up LMT barreled uppers as required and sell off the barrels and receivers.
    My barrel price is under $300.
    Randall Rausch
    AR15 Barrel Guru