Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Please help for 1st rifle. CMMG vs Del-ton vs DD upper vs RR

Feedback Score

Please help for 1st rifle. CMMG vs Del-ton vs DD upper vs RR

Hi, I am looking for my first AR. I have looked at the Del-ton kits and the CMMG bargain bins rifles. With both I would be in a rifle for $600-$700. I was also looking at various Rock River uppers between $500-$600 and then the following two:

1)"Here is quite a package. This well balance low profile designed upper. Daniel Defense 16 inch M4 barrel, 4150 steel, installed on a CMT Flat Top receiver. 5.56 chrome lined bore and chamber, 1/7 twist, M4 ramped extension and receiver. The forend is a Yankee Hill 7 Inch Diamond Quad Rail. Yankee Hill Machine FLIP UP FRONT SIGHT with bayonet lug and A2 flash hider.

Includes RRA Bolt carrier assembly and forged charging handle.
    $650"

2)Daniel Defense 16 inch Cold Hammer Forged barrel installed on a CMT Flat Top receiver. 5.56 chrome lined bore and chamber, 1/7 twist, F marked front sight, A2 flash hider, M4 ramped extension and receiver. Standard handguards.

Includes high quality, Bolt carrier assembly and forged charging handle.
    $565

I can get a complete lower for $250 or so. I would prefer to spend less but if the RR and DD are a lot better is it worth the extra $200-300? I really dont want to spend 600-700 only to wish that later I had something a little better/reliable. On the two DD uppers I was thinking the extra $100 is better because it has the rail and flip up sight which by themselves are $100 each.

This is going to be my first gun and I've read tons of forms but I can't decide what is the best decision. Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
    Last edited by rca81; 02-17-10 at 03:26. Reason: good title

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    A BCM upper is only $425 or $570 with a BCM F/A BCG and charging handle. Add a handguard for $20 bucks and you have a great basic upper for under $600.

If that 2nd upper you list is a genuine DD CHF barrel, that's not a bad price, but I'd still rather have an all BCM upper that I could trust to run right. Plus BCM really stands behind their product. Will whoever pieced those uppers back them if they have problems? Del-ton may have pretty good CS or whatever, but their stuff pales in comparison to DD and BCM. I wasn't that impressed by the upper my cousin got from them, it was super heavy, 1x9 twist and didn't shoot any better than my much lighter LMT, BCM, or Noveske uppers.

Feedback Score
    I posted this on another thread earlier but it seems to apply here as well.

I had a bad experience with a Del-Ton LPK installed in a S&W M&P lower. I built it as a cheap back-up and had nothing but problems when running the gun hard. The first problem that surfaced was three and four round bursts that I traced to an out-of-spec disconnector, this was followed by a loose gas key at about the 400rnd mark. I contacted Del-Ton and was assigned an armory code and they requested that I send them the LPK. I mailed the parts off last June, I haven't heard from them since. I just recently ended up working on a friend's Del-Ton upper and BCG and I can say there is a very noticeable difference in quality when comparing the Del-Ton parts side-by-side with parts I received from G&R, LMT, Rainier, or Noveske.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    The best decision would be to NOT get a cmmg, del ton, or rr.
    Acta Non Verba

Feedback Score
    rca81, what is your intended use for the rifle? Range use only? Will you be taking some sort of class or classes with the rifle? Duty use? Intending to compete with the gun?

CMMG, Rock River, or Del-Ton may be perfectly acceptable choices for your intended use. I have two Del-Ton uppers, and I use them at the range. They have worked well for me.
    Last edited by hikeeba; 03-01-10 at 09:58.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    If you're looking to get the cheapest range plinker you can, then buy the cheapest AR you can find. If you're looking for something to defend yourself or your loved ones, then you only have one viable option on your list: Daniel Defense.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    I'm not snapping.....but it seems every week we get the same questions....

Have you taken the time to look through some of stuck and tacked threads here in the forum that go a long way towards answering these questions?
    Employee of colonialshooting.com

Feedback Score
    52 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rca81 View Post
    I really don't want to spend 600-700 only to wish that later I had something a little better/reliable.
    You just answered your own question.

Feedback Score
    There is no substantial reason for getting CMMG, Del-Ton, RRA over BCM.

BCM Standard 16" Mid Length Upper w/ BCM BCG and Charging Handle
    $570
    Mid Length Handguard $20
    Aero Precision Stripped Lower w/ Shipping $92
    G&R Tactical Lower Parts Kit $82
    Magpul MOE Mil-Spec Stock $57
    DSA Complete Mil-Spec Buffer Tube Kit $40
    Magpul Rear MBUS $55

Complete Upper Cost: $590
    Complete Lower Cost: $271
    Total Cost w/ Rear Sight: $916

How to install a lower parts kit

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I have had personal experience with Del-Ton and can tell you 1st hand from a sample set of 2 that you do not want one.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast