Thread: USGI 30rd mag springs

Feedback Score

USGI 30rd mag springs

Who sells the best guys? I know Wolff sells springs, but I don't know if they sell good ol' usgi ss springs, or what?
    A recent magazine order that Brownells sent me, included a new (as in, New to ME) spring, that appears to have a much thinner dia wire, and the overall width of the spring seems narrower too. These new springs also have a slick black coating too. Anyone know much about them?
    I've got a number of 30rd USGI mags with the new "reverse" tan followers, and Ieant to replace them with magpul followers (which requires replacing the spring as well), and I'm trying to decide what are the best USGI springs to buy. I'm leaning towards std ss springs instead of cs, but could you guys give me some recommendations on where to source the best springs for use with my new magpul followers??? Thanks.
    "ROLL RIGHT SNIPER!"

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    You shouldn't need to replace the springs just because you're adding Magpul followers. I'd just keep the standard springs, I generally have feed lips fail before my springs wear out, I swear by modded USGI mags.
    PRAISE THE FALLEN
    SSG Kevin Roberts KIA 7-May-08
    1Lt Nick Dewhirst KIA 20-July-08
    Cpl Charles Gaffney KIA 24-Dec-08
    Spc Peter Courcy KIA 10-Feb-09
    PFC Jason Watson KIA 10-Feb-09

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I need some too. I forked up and accidentally ordered Brownells mags with CS springs and need to get them replaced. It's just been low on the priority list..
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Kaltes,

Any recent production USGI mag containing the latest "reverse bullet" profile follower, uses a new style mag spring that will only work with the "reverse" tan follower. Therefore, you must replace the spring if you wish to use magpul followers.
    Now with regards to some of the Brownells mags I've got with the "old style" green USGI followers, these mags have some weird kind of spring whicj I've never seen before. They have a smaller dia wire, narrower overall spring width (from front-back of mag body), and they also have an odd slick black coating. Simply put, I'd rather swap em all out to good ol' (old style) USGI mag springs and magpul followers. Hence my question on where to get the best springs for my application mentioned above. Thanks for any help you guys can offer.
    "ROLL RIGHT SNIPER!"

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by kaltesherz View Post
    You shouldn't need to replace the springs just because you're adding Magpul followers. I'd just keep the standard springs, I generally have feed lips fail before my springs wear out, I swear by modded USGI mags.
    ===================================

MagPul followers won't fit the "new" USGI springs.
    The old USGI followers will fit on the new springs but not the MagPuls

Last edited by ucrt; 07-08-13 at 17:32. Reason: Clarity/Spelling

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Thats odd, could have sworn I picked up a few of the new mags and upgraded the followers with Magpuls. Thanks for the correction guys...
    PRAISE THE FALLEN
    SSG Kevin Roberts KIA 7-May-08
    1Lt Nick Dewhirst KIA 20-July-08
    Cpl Charles Gaffney KIA 24-Dec-08
    Spc Peter Courcy KIA 10-Feb-09
    PFC Jason Watson KIA 10-Feb-09