Page 43 of 93 FirstFirst ... 33414243444553 ... LastLast

Thread: Recommend me a whiskey

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    A question for you. Do you know what kind of lime tree you have? I've got a big planter of mint, and it's growing like the weed that it is. Was it growing in the back yard or did you buy it someplace?

I remember that people used to sell the small fruit trees you can buy in a bucket. I'm wondering if that would work out. I love the idea of fresh limes and mint being available to sooth my tattered nerves on a Friday evening.

Horticulturally yours,

SeriousStudent
    I have a Bearss lime, or Tahitian lime. It's the common kind of lime you find in most grocery stores (as opposed to the smaller, tarter Key lime). I generally prefer Key limes for my mojitos, but the Bearss lime tree is a bit more frost resistant, and the last few winters here in Phoenix have seen some frost. I went with ease of maintenance over flavor (though I confess, my Bearss limes are quite tasty). The Bearss tree will grow to a fairly good size, just like most other citrus trees. The Key lime tree will generally be smaller, but a bit more thorny (all lime trees have thorns, and that proved a very unpleasant surprise to me). I have been happy to discover that my Bearss tree is a little more heat tolerant than my tangerine tree. I had to put up shade cloth over the tangerine, but the Bearss is happy with a good soak twice a week. Mulching helped significantly as well.

I bought two mint plants at the same local nursery where I acquired the lime, and put them in a long pot directly under a spigot. Now I just go outside in the morning, turn on the spigot for a bit, and they're all watered and ready for the scorching day. They're still not thriving quite as well as I'd like, so I'm thinking I might add a bit of shade cloth to keep them happier. Back in WV, mint grows like a weed and will take over your garden. Not so in AZ, it won't tolerate the full sunlight in the summer without serious watering.
    Cyril: Oh now that's a breach of trust!

Lana: Do you really want to open this can of trust-breachy worms after I just found you and my ex-boyfriend with a dead hooker in the trunk?

Cyril: ...I do not.

A Dream of the Dark Continent

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    Thank you, kind sir.

I had a pleasant daydream at work the other day. Hunt down an old whiskey barrel, and saw it in half to make a pair of planters. Put them on a set of dollies, so I can wheel them into Casa Serious if it truly gets frosty.

Use one for a lime tree, and the other for a dwarf orange. Then I can have a mojoto or an Old Fashioned when ever I feel the urge.

It would be especially nice if the barrel had "Buffalo Trace" burned into the side. But I am betting they are keeping all their barrels.

Feedback Score
    Thank you, kind sir.

I had a pleasant daydream at work the other day. Hunt down an old whiskey barrel, and saw it in half to make a pair of planters. Put them on a set of dollies, so I can wheel them into Casa Serious if it truly gets frosty.

Use one for a lime tree, and the other for a dwarf orange. Then I can have a mojoto or an Old Fashioned when ever I feel the urge.
    That'd probably work better with a Key lime. The Bearss will get fairly large, too large for a barrel. Though you could always just plant it once it starts outgrowing the barrel.

Also, give some thought to taking some of that excellent Buffalo Trace and crafting some mint juleps as well

Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent
    It would be especially nice if the barrel had "Buffalo Trace" burned into the side. But I am betting they are keeping all their barrels.
    Actually, they probably sell them to Scotch distilleries. Most Scotches are aged in used bourbon barrels these days.

Lana: Do you really want to open this can of trust-breachy worms after I just found you and my ex-boyfriend with a dead hooker in the trunk?

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    Actually, those splendid folks at Buffalo Trace will sell me a barrel. I just have to buy the Bourbon in it as well.

http://www.buffalotracemediakit.com/story_1.html

Now that would be fun.

Feedback Score
    Actually, those splendid folks at Buffalo Trace will sell me a barrel. I just have to buy the Bourbon in it as well.

http://www.buffalotracemediakit.com/story_1.html

Now that would be fun.
    Indeed, though it seems that they just bottle the contents of the barrel. I wonder how much they charge. It can't be cheap.

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    You mean you don't get to just sit there and drink it all at once?

Feedback Score
    This "Wacky Wednesday" night's spirit of choice is:

That's all for now. Enjoy!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CLHC View Post
    This "Wacky Wednesday" night's spirit of choice is:

That's all for now. Enjoy!
    That bottle looks an awful lot like 1792 Bourbon. I wonder if they are made by the same company, or if they use the same bottle supplier?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I'm not sure whether this question is more appropriate here or in one of the SHTF/prep threads, but given the specificity of the subject material, I'm gonna stick it here.

For various and sundry reasons, I quit drinking back in '96. Quit smoking the same year. But I do have a thin streak of "prepper" in me and with that in mind, I have considered stashing a little booze and tobacco in and amongst some of my other provisions as a potential barter item should things take a turn for the worst.

Whiskey seems like an obvious choice for a booze that would not only store well, but likely appreciate in value as years passed. So if some of you whiskey hounds were setting up a private reserve or were looking to trade some beans and bullets for a jolt, what brands of whiskey would catch your eye?

I'm not looking to break the bank with the most exclusive, expensive labels on the market, as most folks aren't true aficionados. I'd probably never get its true value in a trade and it would likely be wasted on an unsophisticated palate. But there have to be some mid-range labels that would age well and be recognizable enough to hold some attraction to a thirsty neighbor looking to swap some beef for a jug of the good stuff. And, if things should just grind along, a bottle or two that would bring a twinkle to my nephew's eye when he rummages through my shit after I'm dead and gone.
    Last edited by montanadave; 08-08-13 at 06:22.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by montanadave View Post
    I'm not sure whether this question is more appropriate here or in one of the SHTF/prep threads, but given the specificity of the subject material, I'm gonna stick it here.

For various and sundry reasons, I quit drinking back in '96. Quit smoking the same year. But I do have a thin streak of "prepper" in me and with that in mind, I have considered stashing a little booze and tobacco in and amongst some of my other provisions as a potential barter item should things take a turn for the worst.

Whiskey seems like an obvious choice for a booze that would not only store well, but likely appreciate in value as years passed. So if some of you whiskey hounds were setting up a private reserve or were looking to trade some beans and bullets for a jolt, what brands of whiskey would catch your eye?

I'm not looking to break the bank with the most exclusive, expensive labels on the market, as most folks aren't true aficionados. I'd probably never get its true value in a trade and it would likely be wasted on an unsophisticated palate. But there have to be some mid-range labels that would age well and be recognizable enough to hold some attraction to a thirsty neighbor looking to swap some beef for a jug of the good stuff. And, if things should just grind along, a bottle or two that would bring a twinkle to my nephew's eye when he rummages through my shit after I'm dead and gone.
    Try Glenlivet 12 or Grangestone 12. Reasonably priced, and perfectly drinkable single malts.

Page 43 of 93 FirstFirst ... 33414243444553 ... LastLast